An Introduction to Statistical Thermodynamics

An Introduction to Statistical Thermodynamics by R P H Gasser
US$ 22.00 US$ 20.02
Statistical thermodynamics plays a vital linking role between quantum theory and chemical thermodynamics, yet students often find the subject unpalatable.

In this updated version of a popular text, the authors overcome this by emphasising the concepts involved, in particular demystifying the partition function. They do not get bogged down in the mathematical niceties that are essential for a profound study of the subject but which can confuse the beginner. Strong emphasis is placed on the physical basis of statistical thermodynamics and the relations with experiment. After a clear exposition of the distribution laws, partition functions, heat capacities, chemical equilibria and kinetics, the subject is further illuminated by a discussion of low-temperature phenomena and spectroscopy.

The coverage is brought right up to date with a chapter on computer simulation and a final section which ranges beyond the narrow limits usually associated with student texts to emphasise the common dependence of macroscopic behaviour on the properties of constituent atoms and molecules.

Since first published in 1974 as Entropy and Energy Levels, the book has been very popular with students. This revised and updated version will no doubt serve the same needs.

Contents: The Laws of Thermodynamics; Distribution Laws; Distributions and Thermodynamics; Determination of Partition Functions; Equilibria and Rates of Reaction; Heat Capacities; Low-Temperature Phenomena; Thermodynamics and Spectroscopy; Computer Simulations; Solids and Biopolymers; Appedices; Problems; Bibliography; Index.

Readership: Undergraduates and graduates in chemistry, general physics and statistical mechanics.

World Scientific Publishing Company; January 1995
Title: An Introduction to Statistical Thermodynamics
Author: R P H Gasser; W G Richards