Problem Solving Math for Primary Students Book 1

Stimulating problem solving activities for students aged 6-9 years

Problem Solving Math for Primary Students Book 1 by Lyn Stephenson
This photocopy master book, which has proven extremely popular over the years, provides a range of 30+ problem solving activities using strategies such as: Developing logical thinking; Using number concepts to develop logical thinking; Logical reasoning; Developing visual imagery; and Pattern perception using number. The activities in this book represent a response to current syllabus trends for the development of problem solving skills in primary/elementary schools. For convenience the booklet has been divided into four sections. In each section a particular aspect of problem solving is in focus, although it is recognized that a great deal of overlap exists. It is felt that more effective use would be gained by selection of activities from each section rather than working through the package in page number sequence. Generally, within each section a number of similar activities have been provided in order that skills can be introduced and consolidated. Sections are headed by a brief summary of the skill being covered in the pages to follow.
Ready-Ed Publications; January 1996
Title: Problem Solving Math for Primary Students Book 1
Author: Lyn Stephenson; Rod Jefferson

Excerpt
IMPLEMENTING PROBLEM SOLVING MATH ACTIVITIES A variety of factors will be considered by a teacher when he/she plans a unit of work including, aspects such as the previous problem solving experience of the students, their level of ability and the resources available. The use of an appropriate teaching strategy is often an area of concern when undertaking to implement a different emphasis in a new curriculum. The following considerations may assist: * Time taken to solve the problem prior to presenting it to students often proves to be valuable. It provides the opportunity ... - to be fully aware of the requirements of the problem; - to attempt the solution using a variety of problem solving strategies; - to reduce the problem into stages with appropriate hints for students to use, rather than giving an answer; - to identify possible alternative solutions and their acceptability; - to evaluate the suitability of the activity to the particular class, group or individual. * Initially problem solving activities could be worked through step-by-step with the students. This provides a framework which individuals can use when required to work more independently. Further, it may reduce the frustration at times encountered by mathematically able students or creative thinkers who experience difficulty with reading. During these initial sessions a teacher is able to demonstrate a plan or procedure such as the one below which students can follow, e.g. * Step 1 Read and discuss the problem. * Step 2 Think about it. * Step 3 Ask questions about it. * Step 4 Try and use a strategy. * Step 5 Check the answer.