Problem Solving Math for Primary Students Book 2

Stimulating problem solving activities for students aged 6-9 years

Problem Solving Math  for Primary Students Book 2 by Lyn Stephenson; Rod Jefferson
This photocopy master book, which has proven extremely popular over the years, provides a range of 30+ problem solving activities using strategies such as: Developing logical thinking; Using number concepts to develop logical thinking; Logical reasoning; Developing visual imagery; and Pattern perception using number. The activities in this book represent a response to current syllabus trends for the development of problem solving skills in primary/elementary schools. For convenience the booklet has been divided into four sections. In each section a particular aspect of problem solving is in focus, although it is recognized that a great deal of overlap exists. It is felt that more effective use would be gained by selection of activities from each section rather than working through the package in page number sequence. Generally, within each section a number of similar activities have been provided in order that skills can be introduced and consolidated. Sections are headed by a brief summary of the skill being covered in the pages to follow.
Ready-Ed Publications; January 1996
Title: Problem Solving Math for Primary Students Book 2
Author: Lyn Stephenson; Rod Jefferson

Developing Logical Thinking The activities in this section encourage the ability to think clearly and to reason logically. A number of activities require students to organize their information in table format, i.e. matrix logic problems. Procedure for Matrix Logic Problems 1. Names are listed down the left side of the table. 2. Across the top of the grid the features are listed, e.g. position, color, sport, etc. 3. The information is tabled by ticking the appropriate box.