Everyday Math Book 1

Stimulating word problems for junior primary students

Everyday Math Book 1 by Jane Bourke
The activities in this blackline masters book are designed to present real-life problems in a realistic context so as to provide children with situations in which everyday maths comprehension skills are required. The tasks also provide a foundation for the development of problem solving skills and strategies. The activities are based around a set of recurring characters who find themselves exposed to a range of real-life problems that need to be solved; the sort of problems that students may one day encounter. Many of the activities can be described as maths comprehension questions where students are presented with the facts and need to determine ways to manipulate them in order to solve the problem. Ideally the pages should be completed in order as several of the activities are related. Activities with two parts must be completed together as the information from one page will be required when working on the second page. Photocopy these back and front. Many pages also include a challenge activity which is often an extension of the main problem. Included at the end of the book are a list of brain-teasers that explore lateral and rational thinking. The answer is usually not as obvious as it looks. The ten brain-teasers can be photocopied and individually glued on to card so as to create a set. Students might like to think up their own brain-teasers to add to the set.
Ready-Ed Publications; January 2001
Title: Everyday Math Book 1
Author: Jane Bourke; Rod Jefferson

Excerpt
Problem Solving Strategies There are many strategies for solving every day maths problems. Some of the main problem solving strategies have been explained below. In some cases examples of problems are given where the particular strategy can be applied. Guess and check: Probably the first strategy children might try and definitely the easiest. By making a guess and checking their answer children have a point of reference on which to base all other guesses. An example : A paddock contains two kinds of crazy creatures - Trogs with three legs and Quags with four legs. There are 31 legs altogether. How many Trogs and how many Quags are in the paddock? Act it out: Students quite often need to visualise the problem, especially where people or objects are concerned. Counters, coins and students can be used to help solve the problem. An example: There are 12 players in the tennis championship. Each player stays in the competition until they lose a game. How many games must be played to find the club champion? Make a model: When problems cannot be acted out the next best thing is to make a model using cubes, matches and so on. Make a drawing, diagram or graph: Graphs and diagrams are particularly useful for trying different combinations or clarifying information. An example: Fast Harry?s gives away one free drink with every four hamburgers. If a family buys 24 hamburgers, how many free drinks will they receive? Look for a pattern: This strategy can be used in many number and space activities to help simplify the problem: Number patterns: One child has two shoes, two children have four shoes, how many do eight children have? Spatial patterns: How many squares are there on a checker board?