Everyday Math Book 2

Stimulating word problems for middle primary students

Everyday Math Book 2 by Jane Bourke

The idea of problem solving activities often conjures up images of numbers and objects that have no direct meaning for students other than teaching the basic problem solving strategies. The blakcline master activities in this book are designed to present real life problems in a realistic context so as to provide children with situations in which every day problem solving and comprehension skills are required.

The activities are based around recurring characters who find themselves exposed to a range of problems that need to be solved; the sorts of problems that students may one day encounter.

Most pages include a challenge activity, usually an extension of the main problem, which will further consolidate comprehension skills. Included throughout the book are brainteaser pages which focus on a particular problem solving strategy, highlighted at the foot of the page. These brainteasers can be photocopied and individually glued on to card so as to create a set. Students might like to think up their own brainteasers to add to the set.

Ready-Ed Publications; January 2001
Title: Everyday Math Book 2
Author: Jane Bourke; Rod Jefferson

Excerpt

Problem Solving Strategies

Use Logical reasoning:
This strategy involves students using what they already know to solve a problem. A solution can be reached when logical reasoning is used to draw conclusions about mathematics. Strategies involve using models, known facts, properties and relationships to explain thinking.

An example:
Ann, Brendan, Cathy and Daryl all play an instrument in the school band. They play the tuba, violin, flute, and harp. Ann plays the harp and Brendan does not play the violin. If Cathy plays the tuba, what does Daryl play?

Work Backwards:
This strategy works best when a problem is stated so that the final outcome is clear. In such a case the condition that existed earlier needs to be determined.

An example:
Michael arrived at the airport and noticed that he had to wait two hours for his flight. A delay of one hour and fifteen minutes was announced. Michael?s flight eventually departed at 10.30 pm. At what time did Michael actually arrive at the airport?

Flight departure 10.30
Delay of one hour and fifteen minutes 10.30 less 1.15 = 9.15
Arrived two hours early 9.15 - 2.00 = 7.15 pm