Timed Math Problems

Interesting word and number problems for 6-8 year old students

Timed Math Problems by Danny McCormick
This blackline master activity book presents a range of problem solving techniques in a gradually more complex way as each section of the book is encountered. This enables problems to be grouped according to the time intended for an activity to be completed; 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or 15 minutes. Naturally, these times are arbitrary and will range widely depending upon the abilities of the students, but the opportunities exist to extend students by presenting problems as a challenge to be completed within the specified time. The Teachers? Notes section gives an outline of the various strategies that the students will use as they attempt the problems. The problems in this book are ideally suited to a math learning centre set up in the class room. The problems can be copied, cut up, and placed in boxes with students selecting a problem from the appropriate box, depending on how much time they have.
Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: Timed Math Problems
Author: Danny McCormick; Melinda Parker

Guess and Check Strategy

You can use this strategy for many different types of problems. As the name suggests, you need to look at the problem and make a guess at the answer. Use this guess to attempt the problem, then modify it so that a closer answer can be gained. The guess and check problems from Number 1 to 5 use two variables. The level of difficulty increases when more variables are used such as in problems 6, 7, and 8.

Example: Simon watched a class of young children ride past his house. He knew there were 25 students and counted 60 bike wheels. Some of the children were on bikes and some were on tricycles. How many were on each type of bike?