Fuss-Free Math Book 1 – Written Calculations

Activities for all students, including those with Specific Learning Difficulties, working at Intermerdiate Level.

by Sandy Tasker(ill.)
Fuss-Free Math Book 1 – Written Calculations by Sandy Tasker
This homework series has been created for classroom teachers and parents – with students of a range of abilities taken into consideration. The focus will be on reinforcement of "the basics" in math, as well as activities aimed at developing understanding of classroom activities in mathematics. It is sometimes difficult to locate materials suitable for homework activities in the area of specific learning difficulties. Some homework is designed to cover a broad range of topics on one page – making it confusing for some students to read and answer. Some homework activities are not linked to classroom work and do not include examples or answers which enable parents to support their child’s learning. Students with Specific Learning Difficulties experience a range of problems with their academic learning. These aspects include: Difficulties with word recognition and comprehension Coping with pages that are too cluttered and with too many differing requirements Being unable to sequence, recall and apply strategies in abstract situations Striving to process formation – while working to meet deadlines Having trouble with personal organization with their schoolwork. The books in this series are designed with these problems in mind, and whilst pages are designed for the student with learning difficulties, they can also be used as a simple and straightforward introduction to concepts or a reinforcement of mathematical strategies for the whole class. The books will follow a basic format, with a variety of homework topics usually containing a choice of two worksheets. The activities in this book include: Digit values Rounding Addition of whole numbers up to 10 000, including regrouping Subtraction of whole numbers up to 10 000, including regrouping Addition and subtraction of decimals, up to 2 places, including regrouping Multiplication of whole numbers up to 100 by whole numbers up to 10, including regrouping Division of whole numbers up to 100 by whole numbers up to 10, with remainders
Ready-Ed Publications; May 2004
Title: Fuss-Free Math Book 1 – Written Calculations
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt
Division With Remainders

(Note: has number diagrams to illustrate)

25 ÷ 2 = This means how many times will 2 go into 25?

Divide the Tens column first: 2 ÷ 2 = 1 (write 1 on top of the 2) 

Divide the Ones column next: 5 ÷ 2 

Count by twos: 2, 4, 6 

What is the highest number less than 5? = 4 (goes in 2 times) 

(Write 2 on top of the 5.) 

How many left over before you get to 5? = 1 (1 is your remainder.)

Answer = 12 remainder 1 or 12 r 1 

* Word problem:

There are 34 students in the class. If I want to make 3 rows, how many students are in each row? How many are left over?