Fuss-Free Math Book 3 – Measurement, Chance, Data & Space

Activities for all students, including those with Specific Learning Difficulties, working at Intermerdiate Level.

Fuss-Free Math Book 3 – Measurement, Chance, Data & Space by Sandy Tasker
This homework series has been created for classroom teachers and parents – with students of a range of abilities taken into consideration. The focus will be on reinforcement of "the basics" in math, as well as activities aimed at developing understanding of classroom activities in mathematics. It is sometimes difficult to locate materials suitable for homework activities in the area of specific learning difficulties. Some homework is designed to cover a broad range of topics on one page – making it confusing for some students to read and answer. Some homework activities are not linked to classroom work and do not include examples or answers which enable parents to support their child’s learning. Students with Specific Learning Difficulties experience a range of problems with their academic learning. These aspects include: Difficulties with word recognition and comprehension Coping with pages that are too cluttered and with too many differing requirements Being unable to sequence, recall and apply strategies in abstract situations Striving to process formation – while working to meet deadlines Having trouble with personal organization with their schoolwork. The books in this series are designed with these problems in mind, and whilst pages are designed for the student with learning difficulties, they can also be used as a simple and straightforward introduction to concepts or a reinforcement of mathematical strategies for the whole class. The books will follow a basic format, with a variety of homework topics usually containing a choice of two worksheets. The activities in this book (Book 3) include: Tallies - taking and interpreting basic tallies Bar graphs - introduction to construction and labelling Estimating and measuring length in cm and mm to 100 cm Measuring perimeter in cm and mm Working out area by counting grid squares Recognizing and estimating volume of everyday objects more than / less than 1 Liter Recognizing and estimating mass of everyday objects more than / less than 1kg Telling digital and analog time to 5 minutes Locating dates and calculating weeks /days on a calendar Reading and constructing simple daily timetables
Ready-Ed Publications; May 2004
Title: Fuss-Free Math Book 3 – Measurement, Chance, Data & Space
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

Activities and Extension Ideas

Length, perimeter and area activities at home:

• Buy model or craft kits which require measuring for your child. These will produce a
more pleasing result if measurements are accurate, whilst many projects still allow for a
certain degree of flexibility.

Sewing is another excellent way to practise measurements.

Encourage your child to estimate distances, using pacing out, e.g." If you step
really widely, that is about 1 m. How many meters across is your bedroom using this
trick?"

Keep a height chart of your children, and ask questions each time you measure,
e.g. "How many centimeters have you grown in the last 6 months?" "How much taller than you is Joe?", "What is your height in millimeters?".

Ask your children to estimate with their hands how large something is, e.g. "This
brochure says that the TV is 60 cm wide – show me how big you think that is with your
hands." "I caught a fish that was this big – how many centimetes do you think that is?"

When are liquid and mass measurements used?

• Showing amounts of products on their packaging, e.g. a 250 g packet of chips, a 2 L
bottle of soft drink.

Providing measurements in the kitchen, laundry or outdoors, e.g. 6 g of butter in the
recipe, 10 mL of medicine for a chest cold, 50 mL of washing liquid, 10 mL of pool
chemicals.

Keeping a record of body weight on the bathroom scales.

Liquid and mass activities at home:

• Use a variety of containers to show the same amount of liquid, e.g. pour water from a
narrow measuring jug into a wide bowl to see how different it appears.

During cooking, familiarize your child with the different types of measuring tools that
they can use, including cups, tablespoons and teaspoons.
Note: although these are names of everyday items, they also represent specific measurements. Not all plastic cups = 1 cup!

Plan a birthday party, and estimate the number of drink bottles required based on a trial
measurement of 1 glass of drink. The same can be done with food portions.