Math Rescue Book 1 – Written Calculations

Activities for all students, including those with Specific Learning Difficulties, working at Challenging Level.

Math Rescue Book 1 – Written Calculations by Sandy Tasker

About The Math Rescue Series This blackline master series has been created for classroom teachers and parents to use for home or class work – with students of a range of abilities taken into consideration. The focus will be on reinforcement of "the basics" in maths, as well as activities aimed at developing understanding of classroom activities in mathematics. Students with Specific Learning Difficulties experience a range of problems with their academic learning. These aspects include:  Difficulties with word recognition and comprehension  Coping with pages that are too cluttered and with too many differing requirements  Being able to sequence, recall and apply strategies in abstract situations  Striving to process formation – while working to meet deadlines  Having trouble with personal organization with their schoolwork. The books in this series are designed with these problems in mind, and whilst pages are designed for the student with learning difficulties, they can also be used as a simple and straightforward introduction to concepts or a reinforcement of mathematical strategies for the whole class. The books will follow a basic format, with a variety of homework topics usually containing a choice of two worksheets. Contents of Book One: Number - Written Calculations: Activity Sheets Digit Value Revision Rounding Rounding and Estimating Other Tricks For Mental Maths Addition Regrouping Decimal Addition Subtraction Regrouping Decimal Subtraction Setting Out Sums  (Whole Numbers and Decimals) Multiplication of Decimals Division 1 - Revision Division 2 - With Regrouping Division 3 - What Kind of Division? Division 4 - Larger Numbers Division 5 - Decimals Division 6 – Remainders  

Ready-Ed Publications; May 2004
Title: Math Rescue Book 1 – Written Calculations
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

General Strategies for the Classroom

Below are some ideas that may be of assistance with any of the areas of difficulty listed above. They are not intended to be specific strategies for any one area. These suggestions are provided as a guide only and it is recommended that teachers and parents seek specialised, individualised assessment and intervention for students who have Specific Learning Difficulties.

Location - Seat the student where they can:

•  Read the board;

•  Hear instructions clearly;

•  Easily access teacher assistance;

•  Locate reference charts;

•  Find personal belongings;

•  Be free from potential distractions.

Organization - Encourage a desk that:

Is clear of "clutter";

Contains daily work items in a clear pencil case or a tin (contains only the "essentials" such as pencils, ruler,
eraser, scissors, glue and a calculator).

A daily or weekly checklist to ensure that all stationery is available may help the student to keep track of when things need to be tidied or replaced.

Easy On Eyes - Try some of the following and ask the student what they prefer.

Font: simple, clear font with no serifs, such as "Arial". (This book is typeset in Arial.)

Size: Medium to larger size, for example 14 point.

Line Length: 45 - 75 characters including spaces and punctuation.

Paragraphing: wide margins (1.5 - 2.0 cm), 1.5 or double spacing, short, clearly separated paragraphs.

Alignment: Do not justify - it leads to uneven spacing on the line.

Emphasis: simple headings, using bold instead of italics. Use boxes to highlight information.

Points: Use bullets or numbers to identify a list.

Paper: Use matt paper, and try cream or other pastel colors, as many students with SLDs find white paper
harder to read from.

Limit irrelevant pictures, background print and borders.

Additional space for ease of working out.

Guiding lines, boxes and cues to assist students with setting out their work.

Simple pictures, only used to reinforce concepts or problems, not as additional decoration on the page.