Math Rescue Book3 – Number Applications

Activities for all students, including those with Specific Learning Difficulties, working at Challenging Level.

Math Rescue Book3 – Number Applications by Sandy Tasker

About The Math Rescue Series This blackline master series has been created for classroom teachers and parents to use for home or class work – with students of a range of abilities taken into consideration. The focus will be on reinforcement of "the basics" in maths, as well as activities aimed at developing understanding of classroom activities in mathematics. Students with Specific Learning Difficulties experience a range of problems with their academic learning. These aspects include:  Difficulties with word recognition and comprehension  Coping with pages that are too cluttered and with too many differing requirements  Being able to sequence, recall and apply strategies in abstract situations  Striving to process formation – while working to meet deadlines  Having trouble with personal organization with their schoolwork. The books in this series are designed with these problems in mind, and whilst pages are designed for the student with learning difficulties, they can also be used as a simple and straightforward introduction to concepts or a reinforcement of mathematical strategies for the whole class. The books will follow a basic format, with a variety of homework topics usually containing a choice of two worksheets. Contents of Book Three: Number Applications: Activity Sheets Greater Than / Less Than Money Skills - Change Money Skills - Budgeting Rule of Order Squared Numbers Fraction Revision Mixed Numerals Equivalent Fractions Ordering Fractions Changing Fractions - Whole Numbers to Improper Fractions Changing Fractions - Mixed Numerals to Improper Fractions Changing Fractions - Improper Fractions to Mixed Numerals
Adding & Subtracting Fractions Fractions of a Number Fractions and Decimals Percent

Ready-Ed Publications; May 2004
Title: Math Rescue Book3 – Number Applications
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

Decimals

When are decimals used?

Money is expressed in decimals, e.g. $3.50 means $3 plus .5 of one dollar.

Fuel prices, odometer distances, Olympic distance measurements or anything else
that needs to be expressed with precision can be written as a decimal.

Activities at home

Help your children to understand the relationship between money and decimals. This
will help them to understand that $3.50 is more than $3.05.

Use a calculator when working out complex decimal sums, but also round to whole
numbers and estimate to check the answer, e.g. 4.7892 + 7.9835 can be estimated as
5 + 8 = 13. The exact answer is 12.7727.

Use measurement activities to encourage precision by using decimals, e.g. "Can you
measure out 1.5m of material to make this tablecloth?"

Discuss distances, sports results, etc. with your child in decimal amounts.

Ask your child to read thermometers, gas rates, etc. and compare on a daily basis.