Storybook Stars

Extending Talented Students in the Regular Classroom

Storybook Stars by Sandy Tasker
This fully revised blackline master series (Pacemaker Pack) was initially devised as a means of providing extension for students within the regular classroom, whilst catering for the needs of the teacher and providing materials that were designed along educationally sound lines. Storybook Stars can be used in conjunction with any fictional text that the student is reading. Students develop language, design and problem solving skills by exploring fictional characters in a variety of new and unusual scenarios. These tasks will help to enrich students' appreciation of characterization whilst eliciting creativity and risk-taking in an open-ended context. Although the content and layout for the Pacemaker Pack series has been completely updated, the principles behind the series remain the same, using CONTENT LEVELS as a basis for categorizing activities. The key to this approach, which we term the appropriate curriculum model, is that students are presented with activities appropriate to their levels of understanding of the content together with their mastery of the requisite higher-order thinking processes. The levels are an adaptation of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, still a widely accepted and valued model of education. Below are the Content Levels and Indicators used in this book:

Content Level 1 FINDING OUT: Recalling data, showing understanding through restating or extending ideas. Answers factual questions, interprets information, describes or illustrates events.

Content Level 2 USING INFORMATION: Using information in a new situation through extending or breaking down concepts being studied. Problem solving based on knowledge gained. Making assumptions.

Content Level 3 CREATING / EVALUATING: Putting together ideas to develop new products, making judgements based on new information. Puts forward theories or original ideas and designs, forms and states opinions on theories.

Moving Through the Content Levels It is important that higher-order activities such as those at Content Level 3 are underpinned with a solid base of knowledge — the tasks and activities aligned with Levels 1 and 2 are designed to establish and expand this. It should never be assumed that students have the requisite content knowledge, but be prepared to advance students quickly to higher-level activities if they demonstrate a sound understanding of the facts and concepts presented in Levels 1 and 2.

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: Storybook Stars
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

A New Friend

Have you ever read a story and thought that you would like to be friends with one of the characters?

Imagine that the character has an e-mail address. Write an e-mail to them that tells them a bit about YOU. Explain why you would like to be their friend.

Perhaps you might like to invite them over to your house!

Who's Who?

Most stories have a few major characters in them. Choose a book and draw a PORTRAIT of three main characters. In a speech bubble, write something that they would say about THEMSELVES: