It's About Time

Extending Talented Students in the Regular Classroom

It's About Time by Sandy Tasker
This fully revised blackline master series (Pacemaker Pack) was initially devised as a means of providing extension for students within the regular classroom, whilst catering for the needs of the teacher and providing materials that were designed along educationally sound lines. It's About Time covers a broad range of interesting concepts within the topic of "time". Activities enable students to apply problem solving strategies as they explore the instruments and methods used to measure time throughout history and investigate global applications such as time zones. Students can make a range of time-keeping tools with detailed instructions and use their creative skills to design ideas for the future. Although the content and layout for the Pacemaker Pack series has been completely updated, the principles behind the series remain the same, using CONTENT LEVELS as a basis for categorizing activities. The key to this approach, which we term the appropriate curriculum model, is that students are presented with activities appropriate to their levels of understanding of the content together with their mastery of the requisite higher-order thinking processes. The levels are an adaptation of Bloom?s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, still a widely accepted and valued model of education. Below are the Content Levels and Indicators used in this book:

Content Level 1 FINDING OUT: Recalling data, showing understanding through restating or extending ideas. Answers factual questions, interprets information, describes or illustrates events.

Content Level 2 USING INFORMATION: Using information in a new situation through extending or breaking down concepts being studied. Problem solving based on knowledge gained. Making assumptions.

Content Level 3 CREATING / EVALUATING: Putting together ideas to develop new products, making judgements based on new information. Puts forward theories or original ideas and designs, forms and states opinions on theories.

Moving Through the Content Levels It is important that higher-order activities such as those at Content Level 3 are underpinned with a solid base of knowledge ? the tasks and activities aligned with Levels 1 and 2 are designed to establish and expand this. It should never be assumed that students have the requisite content knowledge, but be prepared to advance students quickly to higher-level activities if they demonstrate a sound understanding of the facts and concepts presented in Levels 1 and 2.

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: It's About Time
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

Zones in the Air

Aire Mystaire is an airline that caters especially for budget Mystery Flights around the world. The only trouble is that there are an awful lot of stops along the way. Look at the timetable below to get from Sydney (Australia) to London.

If Uncle Bill was to set his watch to London time as soon as he set off from Sydney, what time would his watch read when he:

1] Leaves Sydney? _______________

2] Arrives in Kuala Lumpur? _________

3] Arrives in Paris? _______________

4] Arrives in London? _____________

5] How long does the entire journey, including stops, take? ________________

6] How many meals do you think the airline might provide? _______________

7] Find out the time difference between London and Sydney.

8] What is the actual time in Sydney when the flight departs? _______________

Contact an international airline or visit a website and find out how you can get to London from your closest capital city. Try www.aa.com (American Airlines).

1] How long does it take?

2] Are there any stopovers in other countries or cities?

3] What times to flights to London depart in 24 hour time?

Extra!

What is "jet lag"? Write what you know about jet lag and then do some research to find out more: