Pet Parade

Extending Talented Students in the Regular Classroom

Pet Parade by Sandy Tasker
This fully revised blackline master series (Pacemaker Pack) was initially devised as a means of providing extension for students within the regular classroom, whilst catering for the needs of the teacher and providing materials that were designed along educationally sound lines. Pet Parade uses the theme of pets for students to explore their understanding of responsibility and care for animals. Opportunities for developing original ideas and designs are included in problem solving tasks linked to real and hypothetical pets. Although the content and layout for the Pacemaker Pack series has been completely updated, the principles behind the series remain the same, using CONTENT LEVELS as a basis for categorizing activities. The key to this approach, which we term the appropriate curriculum model, is that students are presented with activities appropriate to their levels of understanding of the content together with their mastery of the requisite higher-order thinking processes. The levels are an adaptation of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, still a widely accepted and valued model of education. Below are the Content Levels and Indicators used in this book:

Content Level 1 FINDING OUT: Recalling data, showing understanding through restating or extending ideas. Answers factual questions, interprets information, describes or illustrates events.

Content Level 2 USING INFORMATION: Using information in a new situation through extending or breaking down concepts being studied. Problem solving based on knowledge gained. Making assumptions.

Content Level 3 CREATING / EVALUATING: Putting together ideas to develop new products, making judgements based on new information. Puts forward theories or original ideas and designs, forms and states opinions on theories.

Moving Through the Content Levels It is important that higher-order activities such as those at Content Level 3 are underpinned with a solid base of knowledge — the tasks and activities aligned with Levels 1 and 2 are designed to establish and expand this. It should never be assumed that students have the requisite content knowledge, but be prepared to advance students quickly to higher-level activities if they demonstrate a sound understanding of the facts and concepts presented in Levels 1 and 2.

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: Pet Parade
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

A Peculiar Pet

Imagine that you could have any animal that you wanted for a pet. How about a lion, an elephant or a chimpanzee?

Do some research in books or on the Internet to find out about this animal.

A good website is www.enchantedlearning.com Animal Printouts (ask your teacher for help).

• Now write about your special pet.

• Type of animal: Pet name:
  • Eats:
  • Sleeps:
  • Things it likes to do:
  • It is afraid of:
  • What country does it come from?

Write down some special things that you need to do to keep your animal

happy:

Draw your new pet in a special home in your back yard: