Unsolved Mysteries

Extending Talented Students in the Regular Classroom

Unsolved Mysteries by Sandy Tasker
This fully revised blackline master series (Pacemaker Pack) was initially devised as a means of providing extension for students within the regular classroom, whilst catering for the needs of the teacher and providing materials that were designed along educationally sound lines. Unsolved Mysteries presents interesting information on a range of topics such as the Loch Ness monster, the Yeti, UFOs and Stonehenge. Students are asked to develop original ideas based on reading and additional research. The activities in this book challenge the student's creativity and innovation by presenting a variety of hypothetical scenarios. Although the content and layout for the Pacemaker Pack series has been completely updated, the principles behind the series remain the same, using CONTENT LEVELS as a basis for categorizing activities. The key to this approach, which we term the appropriate curriculum model, is that students are presented with activities appropriate to their levels of understanding of the content together with their mastery of the requisite higher-order thinking processes. The levels are an adaptation of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, still a widely accepted and valued model of education. Below are the Content Levels and Indicators used in this book:

Content Level 1 FINDING OUT: Recalling data, showing understanding through restating or extending ideas. Answers factual questions, interprets information, describes or illustrates events.

Content Level 2 USING INFORMATION: Using information in a new situation through extending or breaking down concepts being studied. Problem solving based on knowledge gained. Making assumptions.

Content Level 3 CREATING / EVALUATING: Putting together ideas to develop new products, making judgements based on new information. Puts forward theories or original ideas and designs, forms and states opinions on theories.

Moving Through the Content Levels It is important that higher-order activities such as those at Content Level 3 are underpinned with a solid base of knowledge — the tasks and activities aligned with Levels 1 and 2 are designed to establish and expand this. It should never be assumed that students have the requisite content knowledge, but be prepared to advance students quickly to higher-level activities if they demonstrate a sound understanding of the facts and concepts presented in Levels 1 and 2.

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: Unsolved Mysteries
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

Eye Witness Report

Most creatures such as the Yeti and Bigfoot have rather confusing reports about them. If you lived in the local area, what questions could you ask to get a more ACCURATE picture of what has been seen.

Design an "Eyewitness Form" that people need to fill out as soon as they see the creature. You might like to think about giving space for comments on:

Where and when did you see it, who were you with, what did the creature look like, how did it move, what did it do, how did you feel? Make sure you include some space for sketches of body, face, hands, footprints, etc.

Form 354 674 345 - Official Creature Sighting

(form template)

What steps might be taken to try and make sure that the witness is not lying about their story?