Cool Clothes

Extending Talented Students in the Regular Classroom

Cool Clothes by Sandy Tasker
This fully revised blackline master series (Pacemaker Pack) was initially devised as a means of providing extension for students within the regular classroom, whilst catering for the needs of the teacher and providing materials that were designed along educationally sound lines.

Cool Clothes explores the types of clothes people wear in a variety of roles, occupations and environments. The topic covers materials, safety wear, fashion, footwear and personal clothing choices. It also incorporates opportunities for students to develop design ideas with clothing. Although the content and layout for the Pacemaker Pack series has been completely updated, the principles behind the series remain the same, using CONTENT LEVELS as a basis for categorizing activities. The key to this approach, which we term the appropriate curriculum model, is that students are presented with activities appropriate to their levels of understanding of the content together with their mastery of the requisite higher-order thinking processes. The levels are an adaptation of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, still a widely accepted and valued model of education. Below are the Content Levels and Indicators used in this book:

Content Level 1 FINDING OUT: Recalling data, showing understanding through restating or extending ideas. Answers factual questions, interprets information, describes or illustrates events.

Content Level 2 USING INFORMATION: Using information in a new situation through extending or breaking down concepts being studied. Problem solving based on knowledge gained. Making assumptions.

Content Level 3 CREATING / EVALUATING: Putting together ideas to develop new products, making judgements based on new information. Puts forward theories or original ideas and designs, forms and states opinions on theories.

Moving Through the Content Levels It is important that higher-order activities such as those at Content Level 3 are underpinned with a solid base of knowledge — the tasks and activities aligned with Levels 1 and 2 are designed to establish and expand this. It should never be assumed that students have the requisite content knowledge, but be prepared to advance students quickly to higher-level activities if they demonstrate a sound understanding of the facts and concepts presented in Levels 1 and 2.

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: Cool Clothes
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

Try These On For Size

Fun filled classroom activities where "one size fits all".

FINDING OUT:

• With a partner and two identical brochures, cover up the prices of different clothes advertized. Take turns in guessing how much each item is and revealing the answers. Is it easier after a while?

• Play a game where everyone takes their shoes off. One person leaves the room and three other students place their shoes at the front of the class. If the person guesses ANY correctly, they get to choose the next person to go outside and the next three students to place their shoes at the front. If none are correct, they have another turn.

• One student stands at the front of the room, and the rest of the class look closely at them. Then one other student is asked to step out of the room, where the first student makes a small change to their clothes, e.g. rolls a sleeve up, does one more button up or rolls a sock over. The returning student must guess what has changed.

• Read up information from some library books. Draw pictures of "Clothing Through the Ages". Don’t forget to write the date underneath each picture. The same can be done for "Traditional Costumes From Around the World".

• Find out where materials such as wool and cotton come from. Draw a flow chart showing the story from field to clothing.

USING:

• Using magazine pictures, cut the heads off ten people. See if your partner can match the clothes in the leftover pictures to the heads.

• Write a list of "clothing words". Make a crossword or a word sleuth.

• Measure foot size or tally shoe size and graph the results for the class.

• Look closely at some fabrics of the clothes that you wear. Draw some circles and sketch inside what these fabrics might look like under a microscope.

• Be a tailor for a day. Measure all of your body parts and write up a plan using the measurements to make a special outfit.