Fantastic Food

Extending Talented Students in the Regular Classroom

Fantastic Food by Sandy Tasker
This fully revised blackline master series (Pacemaker Pack) was initially devised as a means of providing extension for students within the regular classroom, whilst catering for the needs of the teacher and providing materials that were designed along educationally sound lines.

Fantastic Food enables students to extend their understanding of current health and nutrition issues through a series of investigative tasks. Creative language skills are developed using food as the central theme, and science and design tasks are also presented for a cross-curricular approach. Although the content and layout for the Pacemaker Pack series has been completely updated, the principles behind the series remain the same, using CONTENT LEVELS as a basis for categorizing activities. The key to this approach, which we term the appropriate curriculum model, is that students are presented with activities appropriate to their levels of understanding of the content together with their mastery of the requisite higher-order thinking processes. The levels are an adaptation of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, still a widely accepted and valued model of education. Below are the Content Levels and Indicators used in this book:

Content Level 1 FINDING OUT: Recalling data, showing understanding through restating or extending ideas. Answers factual questions, interprets information, describes or illustrates events.

Content Level 2 USING INFORMATION: Using information in a new situation through extending or breaking down concepts being studied. Problem solving based on knowledge gained. Making assumptions.

Content Level 3 CREATING / EVALUATING: Putting together ideas to develop new products, making judgements based on new information. Puts forward theories or original ideas and designs, forms and states opinions on theories.

Moving Through the Content Levels It is important that higher-order activities such as those at Content Level 3 are underpinned with a solid base of knowledge — the tasks and activities aligned with Levels 1 and 2 are designed to establish and expand this. It should never be assumed that students have the requisite content knowledge, but be prepared to advance students quickly to higher-level activities if they demonstrate a sound understanding of the facts and concepts presented in Levels 1 and 2.

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: Fantastic Food
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

Snack-tivities

Sample some of these bite-sized tasks for fun.

FINDING OUT:

• Write a letter to your favorite food company, asking all of the questions you have ever wanted to know about the foods that you love. Try to make your letter "stand out from the crowd"— how will you get noticed?

• Look in the "Yellow Pages" to find out if there are any food factories near your school. With permission from your teacher or parent, call them and ask if they do tours for the public.

• Find some unusual looking cooking utensils at home. Draw them and explain what they do.

• Find out what people ate during an ancient time, such as Ancient Rome or Ancient Egypt. Do this by searching the Internet or reading books on these times.

• Find out what your five favorite zoo animals eat and make up a menu for them for a week. Where could you go to get the food?

• "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Draw an apple shape on a piece of paper and inside write as many different ways of eating apples as you can. Give it to someone who says that they have trouble finding fun ways to eat fruit.

USING:

• Use a magnifying glass to look at some of the food in your lunchbox. Draw some scientific pictures of what the foods look like "close up". Test your friends to see if they can guess what the foods you have drawn are.

• Make an A - Z picture book of foods for a small child. Can you find a food for each letter?

• Make a list of problems that can occur when cooking, e.g. burning the food, putting salt instead of sugar into a cake mix. Then make up a "Handy Cooking Hints" booklet giving suggestions on how to prevent or solve these problems.

• Make a fruit mobile by drawing and cutting out fruit on colored card and hanging from two twigs in a cross pattern.

• Think about a television advertisement for a food that you like. What are the things about this ad that you would change? Make up a new television ad for the food by drawing a "storyboard" (like a cartoon strip).