Science Solutions Book 1

Exploring science through Multiple Intelligences using the themes (1) Seasons and Weather and (2) Water Science.

Science Solutions Book 1 by Sandy Tasker
This blackline masters book is intended for classroom use to complement the teaching of two commonly used science themes: 1. Seasons and Weather 2. Water Science Multiple Intelligence (MI) areas are used to provide a means by which students can explore the topics in a variety of contexts. MI enables students to draw on their strengths and focus on learning styles that they can easily master. Each activity is designed to enrich students? understanding of the topic, allowing them to express their knowledge in a range of ways. Based on science outcomes with integrated links, activity sheets have been developed for each area of intelligence. These pages can be photocopied and given to students as one sheet, or pasted on cards and placed in a learning centre set-up, where students can select their own cards. Another advantage of having activities organised under various intelligences is that a cross-curricular program has been developed where students can explore science themes through activities that incorporate other learning areas such as Technology, Math, English, Social Studies, Health and the Arts. "Extra" activities included on each card enable independent or advanced workers to further explore and deepen their understanding of the main task. "Get Involved" is a section provided on each card that encourages students to apply their understanding in a real-life setting. The aim here is to promote community awareness and environmental action. These "Get Involved" tasks often require students to work together and consider the actions of themselves and others in school, home and community settings. Background notes for each topic provide a knowledge base and can be used by students as a springboard for further research. A checklist is provided as a guide for teacher assessment and a student self-assessment sheet is included so that students can progress through the activity cards independently. Please note that this is a theme-based book using a cross-curricular approach. It is not intended as a science manual. The book includes some investigations but these would need to be supplemented with additional lessons to be carried out with the whole class in order to fully meet the investigation component of science learning outcomes. IMPORTANT: The activity sheets are designed as a set of instructions or springboard ideas for students. Although, in some cases, working space is provided on the sheet, it is envisaged that the majority of the work will be done by creating additional notes, charts, models, design sketches and class presentations. The focus should be hands-on, student-centered learning.
Ready-Ed Publications; August 2004
Title: Science Solutions Book 1
Author: Sandy Tasker; Terry Allen

Excerpt

Disaster Diorama

Make a diorama (model) of a house or school and see how it copes with the weather!

? First, draft a plan on paper for the area you want to investigate. You might like to use your own house or school to help you draw your design.

? In an empty shoe box, use recycled and natural materials to make a 3-D model of the area or building. If you are using glue, only use a small amount so that the next part of this activity works. Use natural materials, such as plant off-cuts, to resemble the "real thing".

? Work out how you are going to simulate different weather conditions on your diorama, e.g.

Cold Spell - place your diorama in a large freezer overnight.

Drought - leave your diorama in the sun for a few days.

Hurricane - blow your diorama with a hairdryer.

Flood - drench your diorama with a watering can.

Write your observations and discoveries here: