Science Solutions Book 2

Exploring science through Multiple Intelligences using the themes (1) Earth-friendly Engergies and (2) Human Body Systems.

Science Solutions Book 2 by Sandy Tasker
This blackline masters book is intended for classroom use to complement the teaching of two commonly used science themes: 1. Earth-Friendly Energies 2. Human Body Systems Multiple Intelligence (MI) areas are used to provide a means by which students can explore the topics in a variety of contexts. MI enables students to draw on their strengths and focus on learning styles that they can easily master. Each activity is designed to enrich students? understanding of the topic, allowing them to express their knowledge in a range of ways. Based on science outcomes with integrated links, activity sheets have been developed for each area of intelligence. These pages can be photocopied and given to students as one sheet, or pasted on cards and placed in a learning centre set-up, where students can select their own cards. Another advantage of having activities organized under various intelligences is that a cross-curricular program has been developed where students can explore science themes through activities that incorporate other learning areas such as Technology, Math, English, Social Studies, Health and the Arts. "Extra" activities included on each card enable independent or advanced workers to further explore and deepen their understanding of the main task. "Get Involved" is a section provided on each card that encourages students to apply their understanding in a real-life setting. The aim here is to promote community awareness and environmental action. These "Get Involved" tasks often require students to work together and consider the actions of themselves and others in school, home and community settings. Background notes for each topic provide a knowledge base and can be used by students as a springboard for further research. A checklist is provided as a guide for teacher assessment and a student self-assessment sheet is included so that students can progress through the activity cards independently. Please note that this is a theme-based book using a cross-curricular approach. It is not intended as a science manual. The book includes some investigations but these would need to be supplemented with additional lessons to be carried out with the whole class in order to fully meet the investigation component of science learning outcomes. IMPORTANT: The activity sheets are designed as a set of instructions or springboard ideas for students. Although, in some cases, working space is provided on the sheet, it is envisaged that the majority of the work will be done by creating additional notes, charts, models, design sketches and class presentations. The focus should be hands-on, student-centred learning.
Ready-Ed Publications; August 2004
Title: Science Solutions Book 2
Author: Sandy Tasker; Terry Allen

Excerpt

NEWSFLASH! - Solar Car Challenge

You are a roving reporter covering the World Solar Car Challenge!

The World Solar Car Challenge brings competitors from all over the world to race across Australia in the latest solar-powered cars. Visit 4www.wsc.org.au/ to find out more about this race, or research in books and on the Internet about solar car advances.

Imagine that you are writing a story about the winner of this year?s race. Use a newspaper to get an idea of how an article should be structured (the sports pages may be good to look at).

Include:

• A headline which sums up your story;

•  Information about the World Solar Car Challenge;

•  Background of the winner;

•  Some information about their car;

•  A description of the excitement of the win;

•  Some quotes from the winning team about how they felt when they won;

• A photo with a caption.