Shopping Center Study

Practical hands-on investigations to complement a shopping center excursion.

Shopping Center Study by Sandy Tasker
This photocopy masters book is aimed at student investigation of the retail industry, enabling small groups to research and share findings on a variety of stores in a shopping center. The project is best carried out in a regional shopping center but is adaptable to any type of shopping precinct. Detailed guidelines are provided so that teachers and students may get maximum benefit from the activities. It is advised that preparatory lessons be conducted in the classroom. Small groups can then be formed and further preparations can be made for the activity that each group will be conducting. Following the excursion day, results need to be processed with findings shared and discussed in great detail during summary lessons. "Classroom" activities can be used either before or after the main study. These sheets explore important concepts and issues linked to shopping centers, including design and layout of the center, advertising and promotion strategies and environmental issues such as the use of plastic bags. Excursion activities are designed to develop and reinforce practical concepts and skills that have previously been introduced and taught in the class setting. The activities can facilitate an investigative process in which students interview retailers, collect data and evaluate services that are provided to customers. In order to experience maximum benefit and enjoyment from these activities, students should be able to: Work well in a small team under adult supervision; Approach adults with confidence and appropriate manners; Follow written instructions and be able to record findings "on the go"; Conduct tape recorded interviews with pre-prepared questions; Conduct surveys and record findings in written and graphical format; Create clear legend and map keys; Transpose raw data and information onto a map or representational sketch. Each page will feature a code in the top left hand corner. These codes correspond to how/when the activity should be carried out and are as follows: C – Best completed in the classroom as a preparatory or summary activity; E – Best completed in a small group during the main shopping center excursion or as a
supervised homework activity. * These Additional Classroom Resources will be of use during this project: Maps of the shopping center to be visited; Pamphlets and fliers advertising sales and weekly specials at the shopping center; Local street maps showing the shopping center and its surrounding suburb; Old street maps showing the area before the shopping center was built; Examples of surveys done by other people/classes. * If an excursion is unable to be organized, the excursion activity sheets can be handed out for students to complete as homework tasks in pairs. Send a note home to parents explaining the task and if possible, encourage all students to visit the same shopping center. Adult supervision is highly recommended. If each pair completes a different sheet, results can be fed back to the class and follow up activities can be completed at school.
Ready-Ed Publications; August 2004
Title: Shopping Center Study
Author: Sandy Tasker

Excerpt

Customer Chat

This survey will help you to get some information about the shopping center from the customer’s point of view. Include three more questions of your own in the spaces provided. Check them with your teacher first.

Introduce yourself and ask the customer politely if they are happy to participate in the survey. Make sure you let them know if you have a tape recorder.

^ Ask the following questions slowly in a clear voice. Take some notes on this
sheet as you go.

1. How often do you shop at this shopping center?

2. Why have you come here to shop today?

3. How long did it take you to find a parking spot?

4. Do you find it easy to get around this shopping center?

5. What do you like about this shopping center?

6. Is there anything you would like to change or add to this shopping center?