Our Environment Book 1 - Land

Explores various environmental aspects with a strong emphasis on school environmental concerns with a community focus.

Our Environment Book 1 - Land by Sharon Szczecinski
The Our Environment Series is a set of photocopiable activities that has been created to assist teachers in the implementation of an outcomes-based approach to the teaching of Social Studies. This series deals with the five elements that make up the environment: Land (Book 1) Water and Air (Book 2) Waste and Energy (Book 3) Environmental problems have been a hot topic in classrooms for several years and students have become familiar with the issues that are of greatest concern. It is necessary to educate students about the ways in which some environmental problems can be minimized and/or managed. This series endeavours to equip students with the knowledge and skills for acting locally; implementing environmental management practices at school level that care for our natural resources. Students need to realise the importance of the need to preserve the environment for future generations. Series Objectives  to promote effective school environmental management strategies;  to identify areas of need in the school environment;  to determine ways in which the amount of pollution can be reduced in the local area;  to foster an understanding of how people working together can make a difference on the greater environment.

About Land Land is one of our greatest resources. It is able to be developed, farmed, mined and preserved. Environmental damage to the land can mean the loss of habitat for many plant and animal species. Environmental Impact A number of factors can affect the state of the land. These issues include salinity, pollution, soil erosion, land clearing, loss of bushland, use of pesticides and soil contamination. Other factors such as the introduction of plant and animal species are also of concern. Soil Salinity: Salinity of the soil is a natural process and is caused by a number of factors such as the climate, high incidence of the natural salts in the soil and saline waterways running into the soil. Human activities, however, are greatly contributing to the soil salinity problem. When the natural balance of the soil and water cycle is altered, the salinity can increase. Salinity contributes to erosion and degradation of the land and vegetation. Erosion: Erosion is the gradual wearing down of the earth’s surface and is caused by wind, water and ice. It can have an impact on all animal and plant life and the rate of erosion can be affected by the slope of the land, the existing vegetation, the intensity of the rainfall and the frequency of strong winds.

Ready-Ed Publications; April 2004
Title: Our Environment Book 1 - Land
Author: Sharon Szczecinski; Melinda Brezmen

Excerpt

Issues Affecting the Land

People modify the land so that they are able to use it. Sometimes this will have positive results, for example the growing of crops, and sometimes this will have negative results, for example damage to the land.

o Some of the main issues to do with our land are:

Land degradation;

Biodiversity; and

Population.

o Complete some research to find out what these main issues are all about.

Issues affecting the land are not just limited to big concerns that affect everyone. Sometimes environmental concerns are a local issue.

Many cities in the United States choose to celebrate special events. For example, several cities stage parades and fireworks displays on Independence Day. These events are held in public places with large numbers of people. Many people bring food and drinks to have while they watch the show. The big environmental issue is how to manage the large amounts of garbage that the spectators make.

o Examine the pictures below. They show some ways of controlling the trash at big events like those described above, and the types of rubbish that might be produced. Write in some of your ideas for how to control the rubbish at these events without spoiling people’s fun. Some examples have been done for you.