Our Environment Book 3 - Waste and Energy

Our Environment Book 3 - Waste and Energy by Sharon Szczecinski
The Our Environment Series is a set of photocopiable activities that has been created to assist teachers in the implementation of an outcomes-based approach to the teaching of Social Studies. This series deals with the five elements that make up the environment: Land (Book 1) Water and Air (Book 2) Waste and Energy (Book 3) Environmental problems have been a hot topic in classrooms for several years and students have become familiar with the issues that are of greatest concern. It is necessary to educate students about the ways in which some environmental problems can be minimized and/or managed. This series endeavours to equip students with the knowledge and skills for acting locally; implementing environmental management practices at school level that care for our natural resources. Students need to realise the importance of the need to preserve the environment for future generations. Series Objectives  to promote effective school environmental management strategies;  to identify areas of need in the school environment;  to determine ways in which the amount of pollution can be reduced in the local area;  to foster an understanding of how people working together can make a difference on the greater environment.

About Waste Waste is the term for all leftover materials for which there is no longer a use. Some waste, however, can be re-used. Many of the materials that are discarded as waste have only been used once, such as bottles and tin cans. The issue of waste is a huge concern, mainly because the amounts of waste are increasing and we are running out of room to dispose of it safely. As society has become more industrialized, more waste has been created. Students need to learn the importance of minimizing waste and exploring recycling processes rather than waste disposal. Environmental Impact Much of the waste produced by households and industrial plants is dumped in landfills. The materials in landfills take many years to break down and can often produce harmful chemicals in the form of gases or liquids which can sometimes infiltrate the water table.

Issues include groundwater pollution, environmental degradation and the disposal of toxic wastes such as tires, batteries, industrial chemicals, paints, electrical cables, and so on.

About Energy Most sources of energy are non-renewable, for example, the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil. The burning of these fuels greatly contributes to the increase in greenhouse gases, causing the warming of the earth’s surface. It is important that students be educated about ways in which the burning of fossil fuels can be reduced both at school and at home. Students should be encouraged to examine the energy efficiency of appliances and buildings in their homes and classroom. What is renewable energy?

Renewable energy is any source of energy that does not deplete the natural reserves. Solar energy is an example of renewable energy as it is not taking anything away from the sun, using only the sunlight. Burning fuels like coal and gas are not classed as renewable as once the coal and gas are gone there is nothing left.

Ready-Ed Publications; April 2004
Title: Our Environment Book 3 - Waste and Energy
Author: Sharon Szczecinski; Melinda Brezmen

Excerpt

What Is Energy?

We talk about energy a lot. People might say that they are "saving energy" or that they "have no energy" but what actually is energy? Most energy originally comes from the sun. It can’t be created but it can be changed from one form to another. The energy used to power our refrigerator or our TV, for example, usually comes from the burning of minerals like coal.

o Use a dictionary or any other sources to find out what these energy words
mean: Are there any you can guess for yourself?

• Renewable
  • Non-renewable
  • Sustainable
  • Solar energy
  • Hydro energy
  • Wind energy
  • Nuclear energy

o How much of what you do every day requires energy? Choose one day
and list everything you do in a day that requires energy.