Equity in Education

Students with Disabilities, Learning Difficulties and Disadvantages

Equity in Education by Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development

Equity in education does not imply an equal distribution of resources to all students. OECD countries support students with disabilities, learning difficulties and disadvantages by providing them with additional resources to help them access the curriculum and benefit as fully as possible from education.

This book outlines practices in OECD countries and draws out policy implications. It follows on from the previous edition Special Needs Education: Statistics and Indicators, and extends the analysis to include more countries and a wider range of educational provision. It includes a more comprehensive set of statistics on the different categories of students and indicators of equity.

It maintains the tri-partite cross-national classification system developed for the first edition covering categories A, B and C (students with disabilities, difficulties and disadvantages respectively).

The book highlights the number of students involved and where they are educated (special schools, special classes or regular schools). New data are included covering pre-school and upper secondary education and data on gender have also been expanded. The book also includes information on the physical provision and on student/teacher ratios.

The analysis is based on both quantitative and qualitative data provided by 28 countries and a number of provinces: Austria, Belgium (Flemish Community), Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan), the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development; January 2004
Title: Equity in Education
Author: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development

​How PISA Is Changing to Reflect 21st Century Workforce Needs and Skills - EdSurge
Tue, 26 Apr 2016 14:47:47 -0700
​How PISA Is Changing to Reflect 21st Century Workforce Needs and SkillsEdSurgeThe changes started before the 2012 exam, after ...
The Finnish lesson - DhakaTribune
Fri, 16 Oct 2015 11:33:41 -0700
DhakaTribuneThe Finnish lessonDhakaTribuneThe Finnish reform to ensure equity in education might fail to sound like that ...