Graduate Citizens

Issues of Citizenship and Higher Education

Graduate Citizens by John Ahier
Following the introduction of student loans and tuition fees, the situation of students and new graduates has changed considerably. Set in this context, Graduate Citizens is a thought-provoking, and insightful look at the current generation of students' attitudes towards citizenship and matters of social and moral responsibility.
Drawing on small-scale case studies of students in two universities, the authors explore students' changing sense of citizenship against the backdrop of recent changes in higher education. It addresses students' approaches to being in debt, the role of their families in providing support and their attitudes towards careers. Questioning the claim that the current generation of students is politically apathetic, this book shows that they are in fact socially concerned with, though distant from, official, mainstream politics. It investigates students' responses to such political and economic phenomena as globalisation and the ever-increasing promotion of market forces.
Graduate Citizens illuminates and explores the links between reforms in higher education, student experience of university and issues of citizenship. It poses questions about the condition and future of citizenship in Britain and discusses the implications for citizenship education.
Taylor and Francis; June 2005
ISBN 9781134517893
Read online, or download in secure EPUB
Title: Graduate Citizens
Author: John Ahier; John Beck; Rob Moore

020398689X
9780203986899
9780415257220
9781134517879
9781134517893