How's school?

Helping your teenager get the most out of high school

How's school? by Erin Shale
"How's School?" we ask, and they answer with a mumble which tells us nothing. Can parents hope to know how our teenagers are coping at high school? What can we do to make it a positive experience for them? How can we help them if it is not?

At high school children ‘grow up', learning to become themselves and to develop significant relationships beyond the family. They begin to understand what interests them, what they are good at, and to imagine possible futures.

We want them to sail through these years: some do, while others struggle. All experience times where reassurance and guidance is crucial, especially in their final year. Parent power can make a real difference: we need to know how to use it wisely.

How's School? is the accumulated wisdom of Erin Shale, a school counsellor and teacher who has for over a decade guided young people and their families through the good, bad and funny experiences of school. Her practical guide helps parents to help teenagers get the most out of school—emotionally and socially, as well as academically.

‘a ray of hope and wise advice on the many thorny issues that confront families' E.J. Brierley, President, Australian Secondary Principals Association.

‘Erin's deep regard and appreciation of young people, and respect for parents is evident throughout the book. Easy to read, both hopeful and challenging, the book canvasses and responds to many of the questions, decisions and dilemmas for students and parents.'Josephine Lonergan AM, Executive Director, Australian Parents Council.

‘I encourage all parents and others interested in supporting young people through their schooling to read this excellent book.' The Hon Dr Brendan Nelson MP, Minister for Education, Science and Training.

Allen & Unwin; July 2005
Title: How's school?
Author: Erin Shale