Etudes for Piano Teachers

Reflections on the Teacher's Art

Etudes for Piano Teachers by Stewart Gordon
Just as musical etudes focus on the development of skills and address the technical problems encountered in keyboard literature, the "etudes" in Stewart Gordon's new book also focus on ideas which prepare piano teachers for meeting the problems encountered in piano performing and teaching. This major new collection on the piano teacher's art opens with an assessment of the role of the piano teacher, and goes on to explore various types of students and the challenge each presents: the moderately talented, but ambitious, student; the late beginner; the unusually gifted. Drawing on thirty years of teaching and performing, Gordon then bring fresh ideas to bear on the often-discussed areas of inner-hearing, pulse regulation, improvisation, sight-reading, and collaborative music making. There are sections on performance procedures, memorizing, pedalling, and historical performance practices; a carefully-balanced consideration of the role of the piano student and teacher; and realistic looks at the problems facing the profession today, the dynamics of a performing career, and the stages through which musicians' careers often pass. Designed to open up new avenues of inquiry, to provoke discussion and creative thinking, and to challenge and motivate students, these essays will be vital reading for all serious piano students and teachers.
Oxford University Press; February 1995
Title: Etudes for Piano Teachers
Author: Stewart Gordon

0198025335
9780195093223
9780198025337