Stop the Bullying

A handbook for schools

Stop the Bullying by Ken Rigby
What to do about bullying in schools is an ever-expanding field, requiring constant monitoring as new ideas appear and new resources become available.With the publication of this second edition of Stop the Bullying I have been able to take recent developments into account in revising some of the contents of the earlier edition and adding further material of a practical nature. The issue of whether schools in Australia should take action against bullying is now well and truly over. The question has become: How can schools best deal with the problem? There remains a need for schools to work out what, among many, are the best courses of action for them to take and what resources are available for them to carry out agreed plans as effectively as possible. In revising this handbook I have kept in mind that anti-bullying initiatives are unlikely to be effective without widespread support from the school community, that is from staff, students and parents. I have therefore further emphasised the need for informed and thorough discussion of the issues, in the first instance by members of each school’s staff. I know that individual teachers, like members of the community at large, are apt to have different opinions about what to do. These differences are healthy but need to be brought out into the open and discussed in a non-judgemental manner. To this end, in this edition I have provided a series of questions in a questionnaire to help teachers discover where they and their colleagues stand, as a prerequisite to reaching a joint decision on what to do. I am also aware that bullying is not only an issue among children. It can also involve adults, as workplace research is now showing. Accordingly, I have provided a section in this edition that I hope will assist in taking a more comprehensive look at the problem. A major contribution of this handbook lies in informing schools about resources for addressing bullying. Teachers are no longer alone in their endeavours to counter bullying, as an increasing volume of resources is now available. As well as resources providing knowledge about bullying in schools, there are also, and more importantly, resources that help to develop the kinds of skills that are needed to deal with the practical issues of the day. These include how to mediate in conflict situations, how to use drama and role-play to help students handle conflict more constructively, how to deal with students who bully and students who are often victimised by peers, and how to work with parents to resolve bully/victim problems. Teachers who want to include lessons about conflict and bullying as part of the school curriculum no longer have to make it all up themselves. The task now is to access, appraise and adapt what is available. This handbook has been written to make this possible.
Australian Council for Educational Research; June 2003
Title: Stop the Bullying
Author: Ken Rigby

Bully expert Dr John Demartini says over-protective parents create victims - NEWS.com.au
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:41:29 -0800
NEWS.com.auBully expert Dr John Demartini says over-protective parents create victimsNEWS.com.au"There used to be spanking ...