The WTO and Sustainable Development

The WTO and Sustainable Development by Gary P. Sampson
“Professor Gary Sampson . . . presents policy options that are both ambitious and realistic, the pursuit of which could contribute to more coherent and mutually supportive action on the part of governments to both trade and sustainable development. This book is a useful contribution to the literature and should be of interest to a large part of the international community, including government offi cials, academics, the business community, and both intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.” —Dr. Supachai Panitchpakdi, UNCTAD Secretary-General and former WTO Director General (2002–2005) “For trade to contribute to sustainable development, it is pertinent that the WTO must shift. I welcome Professor Gary Sampson’s book and hope that it will stimulate intellectual discourse for changing our mindset by putting fair trade in the mainstream of sustainable development and poverty alleviation.” —Emil Salim, former Indonesian Minister of Population and Environment “Professor Gary Sampson’s analysis . . . is sharp and his suggestions are full of wisdom. I regard this book to be a very important contribution to the study of the WTO.” —Mitsuo Matsushita, founding member of the WTO Appellate Body Gary P. Sampson is the Professor of Economic Governance at the Institute of Advanced Studies, United Nations University, Yokohama, Japan, and Professor at the Centre for Business and Public Policy, Melbourne Business School, Melbourne University. He is a former Director of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and the World Trade Organization
United Nations University Press; January 2006
Title: The WTO and Sustainable Development
Author: Gary P. Sampson