Qualitative Research in Social Work

by Ian Shaw(ed.) ; Nick Gould(ed.)
Qualitative Research in Social Work by Ian Shaw
`A really fine book... an impressive work that adds much to the development of the use of qualitative methodology in social work research' - William J Reid, University at Albany

'The back cover of the book proclaims that "Qualitative Research in Social Work will be essential reading for all students, practitioners and researchers undertaking social work research." That just about sums it up for me' - British Journal of Social Work

`This book is a significant milestone in the development of social work research. It is characterized by an unparalleled command of the field of qualitative research in social work, and by a commitment to an understanding of the demands and potential of day-to-day social work practice' - Mike Fisher, Director of Research, National Institute for Social Research

`Qualitative Research in Social Work edited by Ian Shaw and Nick Gould, provides a state-of-the-art exposition and analysis of qualitative inquiry in relation to social work.... The book has an unusual degree of coherence for one with several authors. The five chapters by the editors (parts one and three) do an exceptional job of providing the necessary background information and setting the context for the six application chapters and of highlighting and discussing the issues raised in those chapters. The editors are respected scholars

well-versed in the theory and practice of qualitative research. Similarly, the contributing authors represent both considerable experience in this field and a diversity of interests. This combination makes Qualitative Research in Social Work an excellent text for students, practitioners, and researchers alike. It is a benchmark for social work progress in this area and points the way for the continued development of qualitative inquiry' - Professor Stanley L Witkin, Department of Social Work, University of Vermont

There is a clear need for a book which treats qualitative research as a substantive theme within social work, setting epistemological and methodological issues in a context whereby the agenda is set by, and is relevant to, social work. Qualitative Research in Social Work is just such a book and will be immensely useful for students, practitioners and researchers interested in and undertaking social work research.

In the introductory chapters the co-authors set qualitative research within a context of social work developments and problems. The central section provides additional topicality and directness through specially commissioned chapters from leading figures in this field each covering key qualitative methods and relating them to social work settings, and the final section which reviews qualitative research in social work, and aims to exemplify ways in which social work thought and practice can be advanced through research.

SAGE Publications; October 2001
Title: Qualitative Research in Social Work
Author: Ian Shaw; Nick Gould

1412933455
9780761961819
9781412933452
9781446235027