Law and Opinion in Twentieth-Century Britain and Ireland

by W. John Morgan,

This book takes as its starting point Albert Ven Dicey's classic account of Law and Public Opinion in England in the 19th Century, followed in mid-century by a collection Law and Opinion in 20th Century England, edited by Professor Morris Ginsberg. The present volume takes up a number of themes identified in these earlier volumes, but also considers fresh issues that demonstrate the relationship between law and opinion in Britain. The essays it contains focus on main themes: The Citizen and the State, Public Morality and the Citizen, Culture and Identity and The Death of the English Constitution? Each is analyzed through two detailed and complementary essays authored by leading academics from an appropriate discipline. The book provides a substantial and readable analysis of the relationship between law and opinion in britain and Ireland, with a special focus on the questions of citizenship, culture, identity and the state. As Sir Colin Campbell says in his Preface, the book is 'rich and suggestive' and identifies 'many of the fundamentaland subversive issues which will have to be addressed in coming years.'
  • Palgrave Macmillan; May 2003
  • ISBN 9780230504448
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF format
  • Title: Law and Opinion in Twentieth-Century Britain and Ireland
  • Author: W. John Morgan; Livingstone, Stephen, Professor
  • Imprint: Palgrave Macmillan

About The Author

W. JOHN MORGAN is Professor of Comparative Education, the University of Nottingham and his most recent book is Post-school Education and the Transition from State Socialism (ed., with J. Muckle), 2001. He is a member of the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission for the United Kingdom.

STEPHEN LIVINGSTONE is Professor of Human Rights Law, Queen's University of Belfast. His most recent book is Civil Liberties Law (with Noel Whitty and Therese Murphy), 2001. He is a member of the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland.