Adventures in Paleontology

36 Classroom Fossil Activities

Adventures in Paleontology by Irwin L. Slesnick

“This book helps students learn by doing. Why look at a picture of a fossil cast in a book when you can make one? Why listen to a lecture about meteorites when you can collect them yourself?”—Co-author Thor Hansen

Millions of years after vanishing from Earth, dinosaurs still have the power to stir students’ curiosity. Deepen that interest with this vividly illustrated book of 36 hands-on activities especially for middle-schoolers. Students can explore for themselves how dinosaurs evolved and became extinct; how fossils formed and how to collect them; and even humanistic perspectives on fossils in literature and art.

As an attention-grabbing complement to the text, dramatic illustrations show not just skeletal structures and animal tracks but also what dinosaurs probably looked like in their natural settings. And handy line drawings guide students through each step of the activities. One fun activity is a page of bone drawings from a “mystery fossil.” Using what they’ve learned about vertebrate skeleton structure, students cut out and assemble the skeleton in the proper sequence.

All the activities align with one or more of the Science Content Standards for grades 5–8. Best of all, Adventures in Paleontology will provide avenues of exploration into a wide variety of foundational sciences, including biology, geology, chemistry, physics and astronomy.

National Science Teachers Association; April 2006
Title: Adventures in Paleontology
Author: Irwin L. Slesnick; Thor Hansen

1933531991
9780873552721
9781933531991