Fraternity

In 1968, a visionary priest recruited 20 black men to the College of the HolyCross and changed their lives and the course of history.

Fraternity by Diane Brady
NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY
San Francisco Chronicle • The Plain Dealer

The inspiring true story of a group of young men whose lives were changed by a visionary mentor

On April 4, 1968, the death of Martin Luther King, Jr., shocked the nation. Later that month, the Reverend John Brooks, a professor of theology at the College of the Holy Cross who shared Dr. King’s dream of an integrated society, drove up and down the East Coast searching for African American high school students to recruit to the school, young men he felt had the potential to succeed if given an opportunity. Among the twenty students he had a hand in recruiting that year were Clarence Thomas, the future Supreme Court justice; Edward P. Jones, who would go on to win a Pulitzer Prize for literature; and Theodore Wells, who would become one of the nation’s most successful defense attorneys. Many of the others went on to become stars in their fields as well.

In Fraternity, Diane Brady follows five of the men through their college years. Not only did the future president of Holy Cross convince the young men to attend the school, he also obtained full scholarships to support them, and then mentored, defended, coached, and befriended them through an often challenging four years of college, pushing them to reach for goals that would sustain them as adults.

Would these young men have become the leaders they are today without Father Brooks’s involvement? Fraternity is a triumphant testament to the power of education and mentorship, and a compelling argument for the difference one person can make in the lives of others.

From the Hardcover edition.
Random House Publishing Group; January 2012
ISBN 9780385529624
Read online, or download in secure EPUB
Title: Fraternity
Author: Diane Brady

NONFICTION REVIEW: "Fraternity," by Diane Brady - Minneapolis Star Tribune
Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:25:47 -0800
Minneapolis Star TribuneNONFICTION REVIEW: "Fraternity," by Diane BradyMinneapolis Star TribuneIn her new book, ...
Diane Brady makes 'Fraternity' a remarkable account of young, unknown Clarence Thomas, Edward P. Jones and Ted ... - Plain Dealer (blog)
Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:38:43 -0700
Plain Dealer (blog)Diane Brady makes 'Fraternity' a remarkable account of young, unknown Clarence Thomas, Edward P. ...
Justice Clarence Thomas '71 Receives Honorary Degree from Holy Cross - College of the Holy Cross (blog)
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:12:12 -0800
Justice Clarence Thomas '71 Receives Honorary Degree from Holy CrossCollege of the Holy Cross (blog)Following the ...
0385529627
9780385524742
9780385529624