Elephants are possibly the most well-known members of the animal kingdom. The enormous size, unusual anatomy, and longevity of elephants have fascinated humans for millenia. Biology, Medicine, and Surgery of Elephants
serves as a comprehensive text on elephant medicine and surgery. Based on the expertise of 36 scientists and clinical veterinarians, this volume covers biology, husbandry, veterinary medicine and surgery of the elephant as known today.
- Written by the foremost experts in the field
- Comprehensively covers both Asian and African elephants
- Complete with taxonomy, behavioral, geographical and systemic information
- Well-illustrated and organized for easy reference
Wiley; January 2008
- ISBN 9780470344118
- Read online, or download in secure PDF format
- Title: Biology, Medicine, and Surgery of Elephants
- Author: Murray Fowler (ed.); Susan K. Mikota (ed.)
About The Author
Murray Fowler, DVM, is Professor Emeritus of Zoological Medicine at the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA. Most recently, he has been a part-time employee of Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey’s Circus. His previous publications include Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, Fifth Edition (2003); Restraint and Handling of Wild and Domestic Animals (Blackwell Publishing, 1995); Medicine and Surgery of South American Camelids (Blackwell Publishing, 1998);and Biology, Medicine and Surgery of South American Wild Animals (Blackwell Publishing, 2001).
Susan Mikota, DVM, is a co-founder and Director of Veterinary Programs and Research for Elephant Care International, the first nonprofit organization devoted to elephant healthcare. Her previous publications include Medical Management of Elephants (1994) and several book chapters on elephants.