The Science Fiction Handbook
offers a comprehensive and accessible survey of one of the literary world's most fascinating genres.
- Includes separate historical surveys of key subgenres including time-travel narratives, post-apocalyptic and post-disaster narratives and works of utopian and dystopian science fiction
- Each subgenre survey includes an extensive list of relevant critical readings, recommended novels in the subgenre, and recommended films relevant to the subgenre
- Features entries on a number of key science fiction authors and extensive discussion of major science fiction novels or sequences
- Writers and works include Isaac Asimov; Margaret Atwood; George Orwell; Ursula K. Le Guin; The War of the Worlds (1898); Starship Troopers (1959); Mars Trilogy (1993-6); and many more
- A 'Science Fiction Glossary' completes this indispensable Handbook
Wiley; March 2009
- ISBN 9781444310351
- Read online, or download in secure PDF format
- Title: The Science Fiction Handbook
- Author: M. Keith Booker; Anne-Marie Thomas
About The Author
M. Keith Booker is the James E. and Ellen Wadley Roper Professor of English and Director of the Program in Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies at the University of Arkansas. He is the author of more than 30 books on literature, popular culture, and cultural theory.
Anne-Marie Thomas is Associate Professor of English at Austin Community College. She teaches literature and composition, including science fiction classes for the college’s Honors Program.