Quantum Mechanics

Classical Results, Modern Systems, and Visualized Examples

by

Quantum Mechanics: Classical Results, Modern Systems, and Visualized Examples is a comprehensive introduction to non-relativistic quantum mechanics for advanced undergraduate students in physics and related fields. It provides students with a strong conceptual background in the most important theoretical aspects of quantum mechanics, extensive experience with the mathematical tools required to solve problems, the opportunity to use quantum ideas to confront modernexperimental realizations of quantum systems, and numerous visualizations of quantum concepts and phenomena. Changes from the First Edition include many new discussions of modern quantum systems (such as Bose-Einstein condensates, the quantum Hall effect, and wave packet revivals) all in the context offamiliar textbook level examples. The book continues to emphasize the many connections to classical mechanics and wave physics to help students use their existing intuition to better learn new quantum concepts.
  • OUP Oxford; April 2006
  • ISBN 9780191523984
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF format
  • Title: Quantum Mechanics
  • Author: Richard Robinett
  • Imprint: OUP Oxford

In The Press

...a comprehensive introduction.

About The Author

Richard W. RobinettProfessor of Physics, Penn State UniversityUniversity Park, PA 16802USAUndergraduate majors in Mathematics and Physics (Magna cum laude)from the University of Minnesota 1975Ph. D. (elementary particle theory, grand unified theories) fromUniversity of Minnesota, 1981Postdoctoral research positions at University of Wisconsin, Madison(1981-1983) and University of Massachusetts, Amherst (1803-1986)Assistant, Associate, and then Full Professor in the Department ofPhysics, Penn State UniversityAssistant/Associate Department Head, Physics Department, Penn StateUniversity, 1999 - presentElected Fellow of the American Physical Society (Forum on Education) 2003Robinett, Richard WPenn State UniversityCitation: For his contributions to undergraduate education in quantum mechanics, especially in visualization, and for demonstrated excellence in the training and advising of undergraduate physics majors.Nominated by: Forum on Education