Making Teaching Work

Teaching Smarter in Post-Compulsory Education

Making Teaching Work by Phil Race
`This concise book is strongly recommended as an invaluable source both for new teachers and for their mentors who may be well experienced, but nevertheless glad of new ideas for coping with the demanding and fundamental shifts in how teaching is undertaken and assessed' - ESCaslate

Making Teaching Work provides a down-to-earth, jargon-free book for teaching staff in universities and colleges and includes reference to some of the best modern literature on assessment, teaching and feedback. By focusing on the learner in a variety of situations and contexts, the book explores how teachers can help learners to make learning happen.

The authors emphasize 'teaching smarter' - helping busy, hard-pressed teachers to increase the efficiency as well as effectiveness of their work. Written with both full-time and part-time staff in mind, the book allows teaching staff to balance the various tasks which make up their workload, including the increasing paperwork and administration they encounter whilst carrying out assessment, teaching and providing feedback to students.

The book addresses a wide range of aspects of assessment, learning and teaching in post-compulsory education including:

-how to provide a supportive learning environment - including online learning

-how to design and manage formative assessment and feedback

-how to support diverse students - including addressing and achieving student satisfaction.

-developing teaching - including lecturing, small-group teaching, supporting individual learning and dealing with disruptive students

-how to use research to improve teaching

-creatively designing curriculum

-promoting student employability

-broadening horizons - including widening and deepening participation

-addressing and achieving student satisfaction.

It is a self-sufficient and thought-provoking resource about teaching and learning for all practitioners in post-compulsory education.

SAGE Publications; August 2007
Title: Making Teaching Work
Author: Phil Race; Ruth Pickford