Understanding Environment

Understanding Environment by Kiran Chhokar
Designed as a basic text for foundation and undergraduate courses in Environmental Studies, this book introduces students to key scientific concepts related to environment and sustainable development. It provides a comprehensive understanding of environmental concerns and issues with special reference to the Indian context.

The primary objective of the book is to create an awareness of the environment. It conceptualizes the environment as a multidimensional and complex living system and describes the interlinkages that make up this system. The presentation is supported by relevant examples and case studies to contextualize the information given. Questions and self-learning exercises are provided at the end of each chapter to assist students to understand and apply the content in their immediate environment.

Specifically, the book:

- Highlights the interconnectedness of phenomena in real life, and the interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary nature of environmental studies.

- Presents case studies to highlight examples of individual and collective action that have 'made a difference'.

- Provides self-learning exercises for each chapter to help develop skills of observation, data collection, analysis, synthesis and presentation.

Written in a non-technical manner and supported by attractive illustrations, this text will be welcomed not only by students but by anyone interested in understanding the environment. It is specially relevant as it is being published on the eve of the UN Decade for Education for Sustainable Development (2005–2014).

SAGE Publications; November 2004
Title: Understanding Environment
Author: Kiran Chhokar; Mamata Pandya; Meena Raghunathan

More Nature
8132101901
9780761932772
9788132101901
9789352800193