High School: The Real Deal

From GPAs to Graduation

High School: The Real Deal by Juliana Farrell

From plagiarism to popularity, vartisty sports to vocational classes, GPA's to graduation, you'll find all the details right here.High school can be overwhelming, but this book will give you the lowdown on what to expect during the most exciting, challenging four years of your life.

HarperCollins; June 2009
Read online, or download in secure EPUB
Title: High School: The Real Deal
Author: Juliana Farrell; Colleen Rush

Excerpt

Top-Five Myths About High School

The first rule of thumb when it comes to high school? Don't believe everything you hear. From ghost stories to gossip, half of the stuff that's whispered in those hallowed halls is pure fiction. Check out these common high school myths.

Myth: High school teachers are ogres.

Truth: Teachers are human. They have good and bad days, just like the rest of us. But believe it or not, they're there to help you, not to make your life miserable.

Myth: Upperclassmen hate freshmen.

Truth: Every single upperclassman was in your shoes once upona time, so they can sympathize ... to a point. Okay, so there might bea couple of bad apples in the senior class who have been waitingthree long years for their turn to trip up freshmen. But generallyseniors have got much more than you on their minds (think colleges and careers).

Myth: You' ll be buried in homework.

Truth: You'll have a bigger workload and teachers do expect more out of you, but you'll see the light of day every now and then. And most of the time, if you're knee-deep in papers and homework, teachers will cut you some slack if you let 'em know you're overloaded (just don't expect to get away with this very often).

Myth: It's best to just blend in.

Truth: If you try to get lost in the crowd, you will. Being anonymous won't make high school any easier just a lot lonelier. Even if you're shy, it's better to be noticed than to be wallpaper.

Myth: Freshman year sucks.

Truth: Your freshman year will be full of ups an downs. Some days will suck; other days will rule. But this roller-coaster ride is all part of learning about who you are and what you want out of life. So, enjoy it while it lasts.