Classical Latin

An Introductory Course

by

Subject categories
  • 1603842993
  • 9780872208513
  • 9781603842990

Extensively field-tested and fine-tuned over many years, and designed specifically for a one-year course, JC McKeown's Classical Latin: An Introductory Course offers a thorough, fascinating, and playful grounding in Latin that combines the traditional grammatical method with the reading approach.

In addition to grammar, paradigms, and readings, each chapter includes a variety of extraordinarily well-crafted exercises that reinforce the grammar and morphology while encouraging the joy of linguistic and cultural discovery.

• Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.; March 2010
  • ISBN 9781603842990
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF format
  • Title: Classical Latin
  • Author: JC McKeown
  • Imprint: Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.
Subject categories
  • 1603842993
  • 9780872208513
  • 9781603842990

In The Press

To all my Latin colleagues: switch to this book! I have taught from half a dozen different Latin texts over the years, and have always wished there was something else I could be using. Finally that something else has arrived! I was pleasantly surprised at its accessibility, liveliness, and clarity. I have used it for two years now at the University of Delaware with great results. It fits extremely well into a two-semester elementary program. Each chapter features clear explanations of a manageable amount of material, with a variety of exercises ranging from simple to difficult, so the instructor can select what to give the students. The most capable students can do more difficult exercises, the average student is challenged but not overwhelmed, and the students with weaker language abilities are able to make it through the language requirement successfully. I have told all my friends in the field to try this book! --Lynn Sawlivich, University of Delaware

About The Author

JC McKeown is Professor of Classics, University of Wisconsin–Madison.