The Breastfeeding Book Your Doctor Recommends
Why is breastfeeding best for my baby? Will I like it? What if it hurts? What happens when my maternity leave is over? Will I be able to use a breast pump? How can I make this work?
The American Academy of Pediatrics, the organization that represents the nation’s finest pediatricians, answers these questions and many more in this invaluable resource to help you and your baby get the healthiest possible start. The benefits of breastfeeding will last a lifetime, for both you and your baby.
Here is everything new mothers need to know about breastfeeding. From preparing for the first feeding to adjusting to home, family, and work life as a nursing mother, this comprehensive resource covers:
• Preparing for breastfeeding before your baby is born
• Breastfeeding benefits for mothers and babies, including the most recent neurological, psychological, and immunological research showing why breastfeeding enhances your infant’s immune system and protects against many common illnesses
• Establishing a nursing routine and what to do when you return to work
• The father’s role and creating a postpartum support network
• Handling special situations, from C-sections to premature births
• Breastfeeding beyond infancy
• Weaning your baby
• Solutions to common breastfeeding challenges
• And much more
Mothers everywhere will find this book an indispensable guide to one of life’s most important decisions.
Random House Publishing Group; July 2011
- ISBN 9780553908237
- Read online, or download in secure EPUB format
- Title: The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding
- Author: American Academy Of Pediatrics; Joan Younger Meek; Winnie Yu
About The Author
The American Academy of Pediatrics is an organization of 62,000 primary care pediatricians, pediatric medical subspecialists, and pediatric specialists dedicated to the health, safety, and well-being of infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.
Joan Younger Meek, MD, MS, RD, FAAP, FABM, IBCLC, is a board-certified pediatrician, registered dietician, and internationally board-certified lactation consultant. A previous board member and past president of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine and chair of the U.S. Breastfeeding Committee (2008–2010), she is the mother of three breastfed children and grandmother of two breastfed children.
Winnie Yu is the author of The Everything Health Guide to Fibromyalgia, the coauthor with Winnie Scherer of The Encyclopedia of What to Eat for What Ails You: A Complete Guide to Special Diets and Nutritional Cures for Everything from Arthritis to Warts, and the coauthor with Joan Younger Meek of The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding.