Applying Social Statistics

An Introduction to Quantitative Reasoning in Sociology

by

Subject categories
  • 1442203137
  • 9780742563735
  • 9781442203136
While Applying Social Statistics is 'about' social statistics and includes all of the topics generally covered in similar texts, it is first and foremost a book about how sociologists use statistics. Its emphasis is on statistical reasoning in sociology and on showing how these principles can be applied to numerous problems in a wide variety of contexts; to answer effectively the question 'what's it for.' A main learning objective is to help students understand how and why social statistics is used. Yet, Weinstein's style and substance recognize that it is of equal-or even greater-importance that they begin to learn how to apply these principles and techniques themselves.
  • Rowman & Littlefield Publishers; January 2010
  • ISBN 9781442203136
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
  • Title: Applying Social Statistics
  • Author: Jay Alan Weinstein
  • Imprint: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
Subject categories
  • 1442203137
  • 9780742563735
  • 9781442203136

In The Press

Weinstein uses his passion for statistics and applied sociology to turn the natural anxiety of most elementary statistics students into enthusiasm for quantitative reasoning. The narrative is coherent and the material is presented cumulatively; ideas that are introduced early in the text are revisited in later sections. The writing style is clear and student-friendly, and every major topic is illustrated with examples, tables, and figures. Every formula and equation is carefully explained. This book will fill an existing gap in current texts dealing with applied social statistics.

About The Author

Jay Weinstein is professor of sociology at Eastern Michigan University. A former president of the Society for Applied Sociology, he is the author of a number of articles and books, including Social Change: Third Edition.

Subject categories
  • 1442203137
  • 9780742563735
  • 9781442203136