The Doctoral StudentOs Advisor and Mentor

Sage Advice from the Experts

by Raymond L. Calabrese, Page A. Smith, Pamela Angelle, Mary Frances Agnello, Jeanne T. Amlund, Rosemary S. Caffarella, Patti L. Chance, Stacey Edmonson, Connie Fulmer, Maria Luisa Gonzalez, Mark A. Gooden, James E. Henderson, Stephen Jacobson, CarolAnne M. Kardash, Judson C. Laughter, Gema López-Gorosave, Catherine Lugg, Betty Merchant, H. Richard Milner IV, Patrick Pauken, William Place, Charles L. Slater, George Theoharis, Megan Tschannen-Moran, Bruce W. Tuckman,

Subject categories
  • 1607094517
  • 9781607094494
  • 9781607094517
This book focuses on using faculty mentoring to empower doctoral students to successfully complete their doctoral studies. The book is a collection of mentoring chapters showcasing professors and dissertation advisors from the most prestigious universities in the United States. They provide an extraordinary range of mentoring advice that speaks directly to the doctoral student. Each chapter addresses a professional or personal component of the doctoral process that represents how these exceptional faculty best mentor their doctoral students. Faculty contributions exemplify diverse perspectives of mentoring: (a) Some faculty are direct and forthright, pointing the mentee toward his/her destination; (b) some faculty share personal experiences-offering mentoring advice from the perspective of someone who traveled a similar path; and (c) some faculty structure a dialogue between the faculty as mentor and you as the doctoral student. In all cases, they open possibilities for achieving success in doctoral studies. Students discover clues to follow during their doctoral journey. Whether the student is just beginning to think about entering a doctoral program, presently taking course studies, under stress, and doesn't know what the future offers, this is an ideal book because it maps the entire doctoral process.
  • R&L Education; August 2010
  • ISBN 9781607094517
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
  • Title: The Doctoral StudentOs Advisor and Mentor
  • Author: Raymond L. Calabrese (ed.); Page A. Smith (ed.); Pamela Angelle (contrib.); Mary Frances Agnello (contrib.); Jeanne T. Amlund (contrib.); Rosemary S. Caffarella (contrib.); Patti L. Chance (contrib.); Stacey Edmonson (contrib.); Connie Fulmer (contrib.); Maria Luisa Gonzalez (contrib.); Mark A. Gooden (contrib.); James E. Henderson (contrib.); Stephen Jacobson (contrib.); CarolAnne M. Kardash (contrib.); Judson C. Laughter (contrib.); Gema López-Gorosave (contrib.); Catherine Lugg (contrib.); Betty Merchant (contrib.); H. Richard Milner IV (contrib.); Patrick Pauken (contrib.); William Place (contrib.); Charles L. Slater (contrib.); George Theoharis (contrib.); Megan Tschannen-Moran (contrib.); Bruce W. Tuckman (contrib.); Michelle D. Young (contrib.)
  • Imprint: R&L Education
Subject categories
  • 1607094517
  • 9781607094494
  • 9781607094517

In The Press

Thinking about applying to a doctoral program? Are you in a doctoral program but facing challenges? Stressed out as a doctoral student but do not know how to prevent stress, reduce it, or cope with it? Twenty-five professors and dissertation advisors from prestigious universities mentor the reader through the doctoral degree process. The Doctoral Students' Advisor and Mentor is a treasure of sage advice and will assist students and mentors in successfully experiencing the exciting and challenging journey of doctoral study.

About The Author

Raymond L. Calabrese is a professor of educational administration in the School of Educational Policy and Leadership at the Ohio State University. Calabrese is the author of five books and coauthor of four books. His recent stand alone books include The Dissertation Desk Reference; The Elements of an Effective Dissertation and Thesis; and The Leadership Assignment. Page A. Smith is a professor of educational leadership and policy studies and associate dean for graduate studies in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA).