Accepting the Invisible Hand

Market-Based Approaches to Social-Economic Problems

by

Subject categories
  • 0230114318
  • 9780230102491
  • 9780230114319
This collection of essays by prominent economists and philosophers showcases the important contributions that markets can make to important topics within social economics, including practical issues such as poverty and disaster relief, as well as more general concerns regarding ethics and well-being.
  • Palgrave Macmillan; November 2010
  • ISBN 9780230114319
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF format
  • Title: Accepting the Invisible Hand
  • Author: Mark D. White (ed.)
  • Imprint: Palgrave Macmillan
Subject categories
  • 0230114318
  • 9780230102491
  • 9780230114319

In The Press

"Recent global economic turbulence has brought to the forefront discussions not only of competing systems of political economy but of their relative moral status as well. But many of these discussions are either weak on economics or weak on philosophy. Mark D. White's collection of essays is refreshingly strong on both. Its distinguished contributors have written essays that are insightful, engaging, and learned. And they could not be more timely. Together they present a compelling case for reconsidering, and taking seriously, the role that markets and Adam Smith's "invisible hand" play not only in generating material prosperity but in developing a proper moral community. This book should become a mainstay in the classroom, and everyone genuinely interested in human flourishing should read it."  - James R. Otteson, Joint Professor of Philosophy and Economics, Yeshiva University

"Gary Becker once noted that it's hard to appreciate markets. Accepting the Invisible Hand makes it easier. Mark White and his contributors have done an admirable job documenting the social benefits of free markets."  - Peter T. Leeson, BB&T Professor for the Study of Capitalism, George Mason University

"Our cognitive biases tend to make us suspicious of markets.  We often prefer the hidden hand explanation of the conspiracy buff to the invisible hand account of the economist. We think that if there is more for one person, there must be less for others and we are constantly told that only greedy people like markets. This wide-ranging and refreshing volume is a cure for these aliments and errors. Mark White and his excellent and diverse contributors justify, explain, and apply market processes and the bourgeois virtues to a wide range of phenomena, from philanthropy and the fight against poverty to rebuilding New Orleans. If you suffer from marketphobia this book is prescribed - if you don't, it's just a treat."  - Gerald Gaus, James E. Rogers Professor of Philosophy, University of Arizona

About The Author

MARK D. WHITE Professor in the Department of Political Science, Economics, and Philosophy at the College of Staten Island, City University of New York, USA, and is the editor of Theoretical Foundations of Law and Economics.

Subject categories
  • 0230114318
  • 9780230102491
  • 9780230114319