Language Ideologies, Policies and Practices

Language and the Future of Europe

by Mar-Molinero, Clare, Professor,

Language Ideologies, Policies and Practices: Language and the Future of Europe
US$40.00
Subject categories
  • 0230246427
  • 9780230580084
  • 9780230246423
The transition from the 20th to the 21st century has been characterized by processes of social transformation both within and across national boundaries. These processes have given rise to renewed tensions between regional, national and supra-national interests, which are starkly articulated in conflicting language ideologies, public policies and individual practices. Language theorists and policy makers therefore find themselves confronted with an urgent need to interpret the changing linguistic landscape and take account of new social conditions and the differing demands of increasingly differentiated speech communities. The contributions to this book explore the nature and implications of these complex language issues and help to develop an agenda for research on the politics of language in the context of globalization.

How far are language ideologies and policies today still influenced by the ideas that spawned linguistic nationalism in the 18th and 19th centuries? What is the relationship between transnational 'world' languages and their birthplace in Europe? What role does language play in discourses of citizenship in a supposedly 'post-national' Europe? How do evaluations of particular linguistic practices marginalise and discriminate against migrants? How do technologies enable innovative responses to the increasingly complex demands and opportunities of a multilingual environment?

These are just some of the questions addressed by this book, in which individual studies analyse specific ways in which language ideologies underpin policies, and the relationships between policies and practices, in a wide range of European settings, and the relevance of this experience to global trends is further investigated in critical discussions of fundamental theoretical and conceptual issues. 

• Palgrave Macmillan; June 2009
  • ISBN 9780230246423
  • Read online
  • Title: Language Ideologies, Policies and Practices
  • Author: Mar-Molinero, Clare, Professor (ed.); Stevenson, Patrick, Professor (ed.)
  • Imprint: Palgrave Macmillan
Subject categories
  • 0230246427
  • 9780230580084
  • 9780230246423

About The Author

CLARE MAR-MOLINERO is Professor of Spanish Sociolinguistics and Head of Modern Languages at the University of Southampton, UK. She teaches and has published widely on language policies and on global Spanish. Her publications include: The Politics of Language in the Spanish-speaking World (2000); The Spanish-Speaking World: Introduction to Sociolinguistic Issues (1997), co-edited with Angel Smith Nationalism and the Nation in the Iberian Peninsula (1996), and, co-edited with Miranda Stewart, Globalization and Language in the Spanish-Speaking World (2006). She is chair of the International Association for the Study of Spanish in Society (SiS).

PATRICK STEVENSON is Professor of German and Linguistic Studies at the University of Southampton, UK.  His current research interests include the politics of language, multilingualism, language and migration, and language biographies. He has published widely in the field of German sociolinguistics and his recent book publications include: Language and German Disunity, Language Ideologies, Policies and Practices (edited with Clare Mar-Molinero), Testing Regimes: Critical Perspectives on Language, Migration and Citizenship in Europe (edited with Gabrielle Hogan-Brun and Clare Mar-Molinero, in press), Language, Discourse and Identity in Central Europe (edited with Jenny Carl) and (with Jenny Carl) Language Regimes in Central Europe (forthcoming).