Hailed by The New York Times as a “feminist classic,” and “America’s bestselling book on women’s health,” the comprehensive guide to all aspects of women’s health and sexuality, including menopause, birth control, childbirth, sexual health, sexual orientation, gender identity, mental health and general well-being.
Six years after the 2005 overhaul of this classic guide to women’s health, the 2011 edition focuses on what Our Bodies, Ourselves does best: provide information on women’s reproductive health and sexuality; practical information on how find and access health information; and resources, stories, and information to educate women about health care injustices and inspire them to work collectively to address them. This new edition of Our Bodies, Ourselves includes the latest vital information on:
•Changes in the health care system—especially how health care reform affects women and how to get the care you need.
• Safer sex—how to engage in pleasurable, satisfying sexual experiences while protecting your health and the health of your partner.
• Environmental health risks—including minimizing exposure to everyday pollutants that endanger reproductive health.
• Body image—resisting negative media stereotypes and embracing healthier approaches to looking and feeling good.
• Local and global activism—using social media and organizing tactics to build community and advocate for policies that improve women’s lives.
• As well as crucial information about gender identity, sexual orientation, birth control, abortion, pregnancy and birth, perimenopause, and sexuality and sexual health as we age.
Together with its companion website, OurBodiesOurselves.org, Our Bodies, Ourselves is a one-stop resource for women of all generations.
Touchstone; October 2011
- ISBN 9781439196656
- Read online, or download in secure EPUB format
- Title: Our Bodies, Ourselves
- Author: Boston Women's Health Book Collective; Judy Norsigian
In The Press
This flawlessly updated edition does justice to the legacy of Our Bodies, Ourselves, which has been synonymous with women's empowerment for the past 40 years. Incredibly detailed, empowering, and enriched by the extremely diverse opinions and positions of its collaborators, this should be on the bookshelves of women young and old worldwide!!
-- Nancy Redd, author of Body Drama and Diet Drama