Wind Talk for Woodwinds

A Practical Guide to Understanding and Teaching Woodwind Instruments

by Mark C. Ely,

Wind Talk for Woodwinds provides instrumental music teachers, practitioners, and students with a handy, easy-to-use pedagogical resource for woodwind instruments found in school instrumental programs. With thorough coverage of the most common woodwind instruments - flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, and bassoon - the book offers the most topical and information necessary for effective teaching. This includes terminology, topics, and concepts associated with each specific instrument, along with teaching suggestions that can be applied in the classroom. Be sure to look to the back of the book for a "Practical Tips" section, which discusses common technical faults and corrections, common problems with sound (as well as their causes and solutions to them), fingering charts, literature lists (study materials, method books, and solos), as well as a list of additional resources relevant to teaching woodwind instruments (articles, websites, audio recordings). Without question, Wind Talk for Woodwinds stands alone as an invaluable resource for woodwinds!
  • Oxford University Press; August 2009
  • ISBN 9780199716326
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
  • Title: Wind Talk for Woodwinds
  • Author: Mark C. Ely; Amy E. Van Deuren
  • Imprint: Oxford University Press

In The Press

"This is the most comprehensive guide to the instruments of the woodwind family yet available for performers, conductors, and teachers. It covers all aspects of performance from classical to jazz, from intonation to reed adjustment, from technique to timbre-its all here. Logically organized, it contains two important sections for each instrument: common technical faults and corrections and common problems, causes, and solutions. A must reference."--Edward P. Asmus, Associate Dean, Frost School of Music at the University of Miami
"This is a marvelous new resource for anyone who teaches or plays woodwind instruments. Performance problems are clearly identified, and accurate, immediate solutions are offered. This is a 'Must Have' book for the most experienced educator to the first-year teacher."--James Kurschner, Director of Bands, Normandale College

About The Author

Mark C. Ely, Ph.D. is Professor of Music Education and Saxophone at the University of Utah. Dr. Ely holds a Master of Music Degree in saxophone performance from Western Michigan University and a Ph.D. in Music Education from The Ohio State University. He currently teaches courses in music education and wind methods at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Amy E. Van Deuren holds a J.D. from the S.J. Quinney Law School in Salt Lake City, Utah, a Master's degree in Music Education from the University of Utah, and an undergraduate degree in Music Performance from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Ms. Van Deuren taught high school and middle school instrumental music in the Salt Lake City area and continues to be involved in music and music education as a private teacher and performer. She has presented at state music education conferences and has published several articles in music education and law journals.