INCLUDES COMPLETE CODE AND ASSETS FOR EACH APP IN THIS VOLUME!
Got a great idea for an app? There’s a chapter for that!
Calling all developers: Windows Phone 7 is starting to gain traction, and the opportunity is yours to sell the next killer app! 101 Windows Phone 7 Apps is a book series like no other–best-selling author and Microsoft developer Adam Nathan walks you through the process of building 101 real, robust, diverse, and marketplace-certified Silverlight applications. You not only get online access to the full source code and related assets, but the book is chock full of tips, warnings, and advice that can only come from Adam’s experience of writing so many complete applications and selling them in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
Imagine how long it would take you to develop and test 50 apps and how much you would learn from the experience. Rather than spending all that time starting from scratch, use this book to hit the ground running! Whether you simply make cosmetic changes to apps in this book (for example, creating kid-themed versions), repurpose apps (such as building a mortgage calculator based on Chapter 10’s tip calculator), or build something completely unique, this book can greatly accelerate your development time and help you create high-quality apps. Sell your apps in the Windows Phone Marketplace and make this book pay for itself!
Volume I contains the first 50 apps and covers the following:
- Everything you need to know about Silverlight
- Fully exploiting phone features such as the application bar, hardware/software keyboards, multi-touch, accelerometer, microphone, and more
- Using rich controls such as pivots, panoramas, and controls in free toolkits, such as date/time pickers, toggle switches, charts, and graphs
- Building your own custom controls, including popular ones missing from the platform, such as a checkable list box, multi-select picker box, and color picker
- Broadly applicable pages, such as a photo-cropping page and accelerometer-calibration page
- How to make your app look and feel like a first-party app
- Practical tips on a wide range of topics, even acquiring and creating sound effects, using custom fonts, and creating icons
Pearson Education; April 2011
- ISBN: 9780132660785
- Edition: 1
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
- Title: 101 Windows Phone 7 Apps, Volume I
- Author: Adam Nathan
Imprint: Sams Publishing
About The Author
Adam Nathan is a principal software development engineer for Microsoft, a best-selling technical author, and arguably the most prolific developer for Windows Phone. Adam previously cofounded Popfly, Microsoft’s first product built on Silverlight, named one of the 25 most innovative products of 2007 by PCWorld magazine. He is also the founder of PINVOKE.NET, the online resource for .NET developers who need to access Win32.
Adam has created several top apps in the Windows Phone Marketplace that have been featured on Lifehacker, Gizmodo, ZDNet, ParentMap, and various Windows Phone enthusiast sites. Many of them are identical to or based on apps in this book. Chapter 36’s Sound Recorder app was featured on MSDN’s first Channel 9 “Hot Apps” show. With the purchase of this book, the same app is now yours to tweak and sell!
Adam’s books have been considered required reading by many inside Microsoft and throughout the industry. Adam is the author of Silverlight 1.0 Unleashed (Sams, 2008), WPF Unleashed (Sams, 2006), WPF 4 Unleashed (Sams, 2010), and .NET and COM: The Complete Interoperability Guide (Sams, 2002); a coauthor of ASP.NET: Tips, Tutorials, and Code (Sams, 2001); and a contributor to books including .NET Framework Standard Library Annotated Reference, Volume 2 (Addison-Wesley, 2005), and Windows Developer Power Tools (O’Reilly, 2006). You can find Adam online at www.adamnathan.net or @adamnathan on Twitter.