African American Fraternities and Sororities

The Legacy and the Vision

by Tamara L. Brown, Gregory S. Parks, Clarenda M. Phillips, Gloria Harper Dickinson, Craig L. Torbenson, Jessica Harris, Said Sewell, Anne S. Butler, William H. Harris, Michael H. Washington, Cheryl L. Nuñez, Andre McKenzie, Harris, Robert L., Jr., Crystal Renee Chambers, MaryBeth Walpole, James III Coaxum, Lisa Rasheed, Kenneth W. Mack, Mindy Stombler, Irene Padavic, Sandra Mizumoto Posey, Marcella Deh, Carol D. Branch, Marcia D. Hernandez, Anita McDaniel, LaVerne Gyant, Tina Fletcher, Tyra Black, Joanne Belknap, Jennifer Ginsburg, Deborah Elizabeth Whaley, Rashawn Ray, Danielle Heard, Ted Ingram,

Subject categories
  • 0813135818
  • 9780813136622
  • 9780813135816
  • 9780813140735

The first African American fraternities and sororities were established at the turn of the twentieth century to encourage leadership, racial pride, and academic excellence among black college students confronting the legacy of slavery and the indignities of Jim Crow segregation. With a strong presence that endures on today's campuses, African American fraternities and sororities claim legendary artists, politicians, theologians, inventors, intellectuals, educators, civil rights leaders, and athletes in their ranks.

In this second edition of African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision, editors Tamara L. Brown, Gregory S. Parks, and Clarenda M. Phillips have added new chapters that address issues such as the role of Christian values in black Greek-letter organizations and the persistence of hazing. Offering an overview of the historical, cultural, political, and social circumstances that have shaped these groups, African American Fraternities and Sororities explores the profound contributions that black Greek-letter organizations and their members have made to America.

New in the second edition: Examination of the relationship between Christian values and organizational identity Investigation of hazing rituals Survey of academic performance in black Greek-letter organizations Discourse on notions of masculinity in black Greek-letter organizations Accounts of the professional lives of black Greek luminaries

• The University Press of Kentucky; February 2012
  • ISBN 9780813135816
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
  • Title: African American Fraternities and Sororities
  • Author: Tamara L. Brown (ed.); Gregory S. Parks (ed.); Clarenda M. Phillips (ed.); Gloria Harper Dickinson (contrib.); Craig L. Torbenson (contrib.); Jessica Harris (contrib.); Said Sewell (contrib.); Anne S. Butler (contrib.); William H. Harris (contrib.); Michael H. Washington (contrib.); Cheryl L. Nuñez (contrib.); Andre McKenzie (contrib.); Harris, Robert L., Jr. (contrib.); Crystal Renee Chambers (contrib.); MaryBeth Walpole (contrib.); James III Coaxum (contrib.); Lisa Rasheed (contrib.); Kenneth W. Mack (contrib.); Mindy Stombler (contrib.); Irene Padavic (contrib.); Sandra Mizumoto Posey (contrib.); Marcella Deh (contrib.); Carol D. Branch (contrib.); Marcia D. Hernandez (contrib.); Anita McDaniel (contrib.); LaVerne Gyant (contrib.); Tina Fletcher (contrib.); Tyra Black (contrib.); Joanne Belknap (contrib.); Jennifer Ginsburg (contrib.); Deborah Elizabeth Whaley (contrib.); Rashawn Ray (contrib.); Danielle Heard (contrib.); Ted Ingram (contrib.); Jerryl Briggs (contrib.)
  • Imprint: The University Press of Kentucky
Subject categories
  • 0813135818
  • 9780813136622
  • 9780813135816
  • 9780813140735

In The Press

""One of the first scholarly works published on BGLOs, African American Fraternities and Sororities not only provides a history of these overlooked organizations and their impact on America but serves as an unbiased testament to the intellect, dignity, commitment, and courage of the 'Divine Nine' in their struggles against recial injustice." -- Tennessee Historical Commission" --

About The Author

Tamara L. Brown, associate professor of psychology at the University of Kentucky, is a founding member of the Pi Mu chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority at Longwood University in Virginia.Gregory S. Parks, assistant professor of law at Wake Forest University School of Law, is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. He is the editor of Black Greek-Letter Organizations in the 21st Century: Our Fight Has Just Begun and coeditor of Alpha Phi Alpha: A Legacy of Greatness, the Demands of TranscendenceClarenda M. Phillips is professor of sociology and chair of the Department of Sociology, Criminology, and Social Work at Morehead State University.