Schools Under Surveillance

Cultures of Control in Public Education

by Torin Monahan, Rodolfo D Torres, Aaron Kupchik, Nicole Bracy, Michael Apple, Paul Hirschfield, Ronnie Casella, John Gilliom, Andrew Hope, Tyson Lewis, Pauline Lipman, Richard Matthew, Lizbet Simmons, Valarie Steeves, Tyler Wall,

Schools under Surveillance gathers together some of the very best researchers studying surveillance and discipline in contemporary public schools. Surveillance is not simply about monitoring or tracking individuals and their dataùit is about the structuring of power relations through human, technical, or hybrid control mechanisms. Essays cover a broad range of topics including police and military recruiters on campus, testing and accountability regimes such as No Child Left Behind, and efforts by students and teachers to circumvent the most egregious forms of surveillance in public education. Each contributor is committed to the continued critique of the disparity and inequality in the use of surveillance to target and sort students along lines of race, class, and gender.
  • Rutgers University Press; October 2009
  • ISBN 9780813548265
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF format
  • Title: Schools Under Surveillance
  • Author: Torin Monahan (ed.); Rodolfo D Torres (ed.); Aaron Kupchik (contrib.); Nicole Bracy (contrib.); Michael Apple (contrib.); Paul Hirschfield (contrib.); Ronnie Casella (contrib.); John Gilliom (contrib.); Andrew Hope (contrib.); Tyson Lewis (contrib.); Pauline Lipman (contrib.); Richard Matthew (contrib.); Lizbet Simmons (contrib.); Valarie Steeves (contrib.); Tyler Wall (contrib.); Jen Weiss (contrib.)
  • Imprint: Rutgers University Press

In The Press

"After reading Schools Under Surveillance one is forever impacted by the gripping ethnographic moments of multiple school contexts where surveillance is embodied and resisted. This book is a must read for undergraduate and graduate students in sociology, anthropology, psychology and education interested in the issues of social control, culture, power and resistance in schools."

About The Author

TORIN MONAHAN is an associate professor of human and organizational development at the Peabody College of Education and Human Development and an associate professor of medicine at Vanderbilt University. He is the editor and author of several books, including Surveillance and Security: Technological Politics and Power in Everyday Life.

RODOLFO D. TORRES is a professor of political economy and urban studies at the University of California, Irvine.