Sets, Logic and Maths for Computing

by

This easy-to-follow textbook introduces the mathematical language, knowledge and problem-solving skills that undergraduate students need to enter the world of computer and information sciences. The language is in part qualitative, with concepts such as set, relation, function and recursion/induction; but it is also partly quantitative, with principles of counting and finite probability. Entwined with both are the fundamental notions of logic and their use for representation and proof. In ten chapters on these topics, the book guides the student through essential concepts and techniques.

The extensively revised second edition provides further clarification of matters that typically give rise to difficulty in the classroom and restructures the chapters on logic to emphasize the role of consequence relations and higher-level rules, as well as including more exercises and solutions.

Topics and features: teaches finite mathematics as a language for thinking, as much as knowledge and skills to be acquired; uses an intuitive approach with a focus on examples for all general concepts; brings out the interplay between the qualitative and the quantitative in all areas covered, particularly in the treatment of recursion and induction; balances carefully the abstract and concrete, principles and proofs, specific facts and general perspectives; includes highlight boxes that raise common queries and clear away confusions; provides numerous exercises, with selected solutions, to test and deepen the reader’s understanding.

This clearly-written text/reference is a must-read for first-year undergraduate students of computing. Assuming only minimal mathematical background, it is ideal for both the classroom and independent study.

• Springer London; February 2012
  • ISBN 9781447125006
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF format
  • Title: Sets, Logic and Maths for Computing
  • Author: David Makinson
  • Imprint: Springer

In The Press

From the reviews of the second edition:

“This book is an excellent introductory course on mathematical language, knowledge and problem solving skills for undergraduate students who need to enter the world of computer and information sciences. … This easy-to-follow text allows readers to carry out their computing studies with a clear understanding of the basic finite mathematics and mathematical logics that they will need. … is ideal for self-study as well as classroom use. … the book will be of interest to any student who would like to understand the mathematical language.” (Valentina Dagienë, Zentralblatt MATH, Vol. 1239, 2012)

About The Author

Dr. David Makinson is a Visiting Professor in the Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method at the London School of Economics, UK.