Oxford IB Diploma Programme: English A Language and Literature Course Companion

Oxford IB Diploma Programme: English A Language and Literature Course Companion by Rob Allison
Written by the authors of the current syllabus, this book will help address all the requirements of the new course at both standard and higher level. It will actively engage students in language and literature, allowing them to become informed and critical learners through understanding and producing language of a wide range of works, from poetry to political speeches to simple advertisements or graffiti. The range of exciting literature offers a fresh look atunfamiliar texts so that students are able to confidently encounter works and topics and develop and communicate understanding. Through interesting activities and model works, students will learn about the most current approaches to critical language in areas such as mass communications, language incultural contexts and literature - in line with the new syllabus. Support is given for the assessment, including the oral commentary.The most comprehensive and accurate match to the most recent syllabus, developed with the IB and written by IB workshop leaders and authors of the syllabusFully captures the IB spirit, thoroughly incorporating fresh and topical TOK to drive independent thoughtComprehensive support for 'language in a cultural context,' building international-mindedness in a linguistic contextCurrent, diverse and topical text extracts from Wikileaks to graffiti to advertisements will resonate with learnersThe best integration of the IB philosophy, with evocative activities to help students think creatively and discerning questions to drive critical thoughtPacked with accurate assessment support, directly from the IB, including model answers, assessments advice and more, completely aligned to the new assessment
OUP Oxford; March 2013
Title: Oxford IB Diploma Programme: English A Language and Literature Course Companion
Author: Rob Allison; Brian Chanen